Eating shot

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
RCTaylor

Eating shot

Postby RCTaylor » May 1st, 2012, 5:23 pm

tried he mag blend hevi shot, worked great. hit the bird hard. Problem is when cleaning it i found a lot of small shot in the meat.( looks like the 7 shot ) found 2 in the meat when eating. Is this just what you get having the small shot in the shell. was using 4 and 5 shot. they didn't scatter like that.
Clyde

bamabirdbuster13

Re: Eating shot

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 1st, 2012, 5:52 pm

just the nature of the beast. im sure shot size has somin to do with it but ive shot alot of ducks with 4s and larger shot and always find a few pellets in my breast meat. turkey i think is worse because of how thick everything is on a turkey. i just cut the shot area out if i can. but i often wonder how many pellets ive actually eaten.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » May 1st, 2012, 6:08 pm

4's are easier to find than 7's. that was my first bird with the mag blend and it knocked him back pretty hard. no problem with the shell. just did not think about the small shot until i was cleaning the bird and eating it. just beware of the small shot.
Clyde

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 1st, 2012, 7:23 pm

lol yea im shooting mag blends too , and them 7s can be a pain... the last bird i shot him as he was trying to drop into strut and shot him quartering to me right below where the beard went into the breast at close range. took the beard off but the bird didnt cut another track. im sure theres a pile of pellets i didnt cut out
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

retranger

Postby retranger » May 1st, 2012, 7:39 pm

I have always used 3 inch #5 winchester or the Rem nitro turkey. Killed birds out to 40 yds and very seldom get shot in the breast. I always wait for the bird to periscope and hit where the ugly and pretty meet.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » May 1st, 2012, 9:14 pm

yea never had much trouble with 4 or 5's. put a good neck shot on him but still got some small shot in the breast. not very good when you find them with your teeth.
Clyde

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » May 2nd, 2012, 12:03 am

That's always my favorite part of eating squirrel is the sweet taste of 6 shot lol.. I am surprised I have teeth!
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion