Shooting accident in KS

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

Shooting accident in KS

Postby dewey » May 1st, 2012, 12:31 pm

Here is a link to a story about a MN man that was shot by another MN man in Kansas last Friday.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Man_ ... 00765.html

For the life of me I will never understand how you shoot another person. Not only that but the shooter fired a second time to put the 'turkey' out of his misery. On another thought how many of these hunters that just fire at 'turkeys' end up shooting hens and just let them lay dead?

If you shoot another hunter you should lose your hunting priviledges for life, PERIOD.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

retranger

Re: Shooting accident in KS

Postby retranger » May 1st, 2012, 2:31 pm

Dewey I'm with you!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: As you have probably seen in other places I have posted on the forum,,,,I don't really believe in hunting accidents. Maybe a .5% of all folks shot are accidents and I don't believe wearing orange is a help either. I don't care what a fellow is wearing he/she doesn't look like a turkey or deer. If that had happened in NY there would be a criminal prosecution. I've heard folks say on here that the older hunters have more cases than younger. If you are at the point that you are seeing things that aren't there you don't belong in the woods.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 1st, 2012, 3:18 pm

Isn't there a basic hunting rule called "know your target"??

I've left areas because I've seen turkeys that stood so long I've thought they were decoys and didn't want to bugger another guys hunt let alone get shot. Don't get accidents either because if you're that close that shot is "leaving a mark" how cna you not recognize the target not being a turkey?? :evil:
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » May 2nd, 2012, 7:28 am

The link didn't work.Any other link or can you sum up the story for me?

retranger

Postby retranger » May 3rd, 2012, 9:45 am

For those who can not access the link here is a copy of the story: :shock:

Font Size: GEARY COUNTY, Kan. (WIBW) -- A Minnesota man on a hunting trip to Geary County is suffering from multiple wounds after officials say he was accidentally shot twice with a shotgun by his hunting partner.

Geary County Sheriff’s officials say the friends traveled to Kansas from Minnesota and were hunting on public hunting grounds two miles northeast of the intersection of US-77 and Dundon Road off of Range Road, south of Milford.

“This morning shortly after 7 AM, we received word from Geary Community Hospital that a gunshot wound victim had come into the emergency room. Deputies responded up there and found that this was the result of a bad hunting accident. The two gentlemen came in from Minnesota to go hunting. They found an area of public hunting grounds out by Milford Lake. They went out together before light this morning and decided to split up and then when it got light out, one of them decided to get up and start moving around and he walked across the field of view of his buddy. Being dressed in all camouflage, he blended in with the background and the gentleman thought he saw a turkey in the area and he shot and ended up shooting his friend,” explained Geary County Undersheriff Tony Wolf.

Deputies say that the victim, 53-year-old Brian Hansen, from Maple Grove, Minnesota, was about 45 yards out in front of his friend, 67-year-old Terrance Spaeth, when he was shot with #4 Turkey Load. Spaeth told authorities that he saw movement in the woods and thought he saw a blue turkey head walking along the wood line of the ravine so he fired immediately. Since they had split up, Spaeth did not know where Hansen was at the time.

“After the initial shot, he saw what he thought was a turkey laying on the ground flailing around so he decided to shoot it again in an attempt to put it out of its misery. That’s when he realized that it was his friend because of the moaning,” Undersheriff Wolf explained.

Spaeth dragged Hansen out of the woods and drove him to Geary Community Hospital. He was later transferred by ambulance to Stormont-Vail Hospital in Topeka for further treatment.

Responding Geary County Sheriff’s deputies say Hansen received multiple pellet wounds from the shotgun to the entire right side of his body- his head, the side of his face, shoulder area, hand, lower buttocks, groin and leg. A representative for Stormont-Vail Hospital says they do have him listed as a patient, however, the family has requested no further information on his condition be released.

The Geary County Sheriff’s Office is assisting the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks in the investigation. Terrance Spaeth is not facing any criminal charges in the incident because Wolf says it “appears to be a bad accident.” Spaeth told deputies that he has been hunting turkeys for 30 years and has been coming to Geary County for turkey hunting over the past four years.

Is this really an accident!!! :( :(
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

bullelk

Postby bullelk » May 3rd, 2012, 7:25 pm

Holy smokes! How many guys shoot a "turkey" that is on the ground giving its death flops? Twice with a shotgun is bad.

shaman

Postby shaman » May 5th, 2012, 4:34 am

This is exactly what I keep talking about in the annual safety thread, although I have never seen it where the illusion stayed so strong that the hunter shoots twice-- that's a new one to me.

The thing y'all have to remember is that this kind of accident happens because the shooter is an experienced turkey hunter and his brain is playing tricks on him. In these cases, about the only thing you can do is be defensive. The shooter is completely lost in the illusion.

What would have stopped this?

1) The victim may have been wearing red, white or blue. Keep those colors out of your kit.
2) The victim could have worn an orange cap when he was up walking around
3) The victim could have called his buddy on the cellphone and told him where he was

. . . but in these cases, the victim is the one that has to make the move to be safe. The shooter is completely deluded.

Don't get me wrong, under most circumstances, I believe in the 10 steps of Gun Safety. However, in these turkey hunting accidents it is nearly impossible for the shooter to be in his right mind. He sees a turkey; in this case the gestalt was not broken even after the first shot.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 5th, 2012, 7:07 am

Why in the world would you ever be "out in front" of the shooter if you split up?

The standard two man tag tactic is for the shooter to be out in front and the caller to drop behind. It doesn't sound like this is what they were doing, but if you just separate, you should do so with explicit directions on where you are going and expect to be. An orange cap may have helped, but if a mind is going to fabricate a turkey, color may be part of the problem. And to shoot twice?

Lost in all of this is the victim's role. He put himself in a dangerous position by getting out in front of his partner. Every story like this drives home the point that it can happen to ANYONE.

Hunt safely my friends!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 5th, 2012, 9:01 am

man i seen these kind of idiots all over the country this season!!!??? i think turkey hunting is get n to popular!!!??? to many idiots running around with guns nowdays!!!

& i am from MN & i can say these 2 DUMB A** OLD FARTS should know better!!! 53 67 years old!!! thats to damn old to be just shooting at movements in the woods!!! these damn yahoos give us all a bad name!!! especially us MINNESOTA BOYS LOOKING TO HUNT KS NEXT YR!!!

i split up from my dad damn near every hunt & i never came into a situation wear i almost shot him or anybody else in my life & plan to keep it that way i dont shoot at decoys & or people & for that A HOLE to shoot his friend again really shows how stupid/ignorant/selfish this old timer really was!!! a accident is you trip & fall or slip in the mud not you shoot another hunter 2 times at that!!!

it sucks that this had to happen but the only bright side is i hope these 2 dummys are done hunting turkeys forever!!! & hope it brings lite to the armys of idiots that travel to hunt turkeys that killing a turkey out of state isnt everything its not worth shooting & or doing questionable ethics just to shoot a bird on a traveling hunting trip!!! i think people hunting out of state put added pressure on them selfs as nobody likes to drive 8-12 hrs then hunt hard for 4-5 days & head home empty handed but its not worth shooting your hunting partner 2 times!!!

IDIOTS PLANE AND SIMPLE!!!

Struttinhusker

Postby Struttinhusker » May 5th, 2012, 10:13 am

The fact that they were traveling hunters causes me to wonder if fatigue from lack of sleep and the travel itself isn't a big part of this. I remember driving when I was too tired to be driving safely and actually started to see things that weren't really there. Even though I hunt in my own territory and sleep in my own bed, I get really tired after getting up so early morning after morning, and being 65 doesn't help. I have always been envious of the stamina that traveling hunters who often hunt for weeks seem to have. But fatigue can lead to impaired judgment which can lead to accidents.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion