An interesting find in the turkey woods...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Everyday Hunter

An interesting find in the turkey woods...

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 30th, 2012, 2:22 pm

This morning's turkey hunting story, and a rocket.

Silence at First Light
I was in the woods at 4:50, and at my listening spot at 5:05. On Saturday I saw a gobbler on the roost here, with 3 hens and a jake in the field right below him. He flew down at 6:05, but went the other way and at 6:20 someone shot at him. I went over there and talked to the guy, and he said he missed.

Turkey Commotion
At 6:05 this morning, 2 hens happened to be right above me, and when they noticed me they started alarm putts on the roost. They flew out. Nothing gobbled. Since it's a great spot I set up and as soon as I did I could hear some kind of turkey commotion across the field. I tried calling, but they ignored me.

I sat there until 9:00, and then got up to go investigate the area where I heard the commotion. It sounded like a couple of jakes fighting. When I got there, the area was all scratched up. I peaked over the hill and saw a turkey walking toward a field.

Encounter with a Jake
I set up to call, spent about an hour, but no luck. So, I want over to that field and saw a gobbler standing at the edge of the field about 75 yards away. He didn't see me, and headed into the field. I lost track of him behind a big multiflora rose bush, which hid me pretty well too. Finally I saw him out in the field and I began calling. He fanned out, and I could see he was a jake, but he never called back. He did respond by coming a little toward me.

Pretty soon I could see another turkey in the field; that one turned out to be a hen. The jake wouldn't leave here. I kind of wanted to leave, but if I did they'd see me, so I stayed put. Finally, they went into the woods, and I escaped.

Encounter with a Rocket
Since it was near noon, I went back to the last spot because I found something there I had never seen before. Lying right in the middle of all the turkey scratchings was a rocket. Have you ever found a rocket? Yes, it was a rocket. It was over 3 feet long, very light weight, painted red and white, with four fins on the back. The fins section was broken off and had some kind of internal plumbing in it (maybe a small rocket engine), but still there on the ground. The tip was bullet shaped, and I could pull away from the rest of the long tube. It seemed hollow.
Image Image Image
It also had a long nylon strap, about 1" wide. Attached to that were some smaller strings. It looks like a parachute had probably been attached. I think this is some kind of meteorological rocket. I brought it home for further investigation.

It has the letters ALF-VB-08 on the body tube, and I could make out the letters "...tol Aero...," which led me to conclude it was made by Bristol Aerospace, of Winnepeg, Manitoba. The nosecone section had the letters MPE on it. Internet research leads me to believe the rocket is known as a Black Brant. There must have been some kind of meteorological device attached to it, but I don't think that's a part of it now.

I took some photos with my iPhone, but the pictures here are not the rocket I found. I found these on the Internet, and they're a pretty good representation of what I found and it was easier to post these than to upload my pictures. And it's clearer in these pictures what you're looking at.

Steve.
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

msbadger

Re: An interesting find in the turkey woods...

Postby msbadger » April 30th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Neat find!...all I ever find from the sky are Mylar Party balloons and ribbon...we seem to be the county sky' :D s dumping ground for them..lol

retranger

Postby retranger » April 30th, 2012, 3:05 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a class project from a school in the area. I know when my boys were young they had some 12 to 18 inches and they would go out of sight and would be lost in the wind. Not uncommon to have a chute attached to them and they would deploy when the engine ran out.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » April 30th, 2012, 6:15 pm

lol pretty sweet... i always find wierd things in the woods.. im always looking for scratchings,droppings, and etc.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

homunculi

Postby homunculi » April 30th, 2012, 7:22 pm

while out with my youngest last year for a turkey hunting outing .. i know this is not weird but it was weird to me at the time ...
he looked down the hill and said there was a bone laying in the leaves i told him no it is a tree limb that has fungus on it .. he insisted i was a bone the hillside was too steep for him to go down and well me my self so i got the old rope out and went down ...

well i was wrong it was the shed of a 10 pointer ... and this coming from a kid that cannot see an animal at 15 yards in the woods ..

the kid amazes me at times ... and then just drops the ball .. but he is a teenager ... ... and pays attention to whatever he wants too ...

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » May 1st, 2012, 11:45 am

You see and find strange stuff in the woods.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 2nd, 2012, 4:52 am

Are you sure Bobby hasn't been up there testing out new ACME products? :D
Is it turkey season yet?

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 2nd, 2012, 4:17 pm

kygobbler wrote:Are you sure Bobby hasn't been up there testing out new ACME products? :D

HA HA! Maybe more likely Wile E. Coyote eastern cousin chasing turkeys instead of road runners!

Steve.
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion