Miss! Is this spot shot?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
crookedspur

Miss! Is this spot shot?

Postby crookedspur » April 28th, 2012, 11:57 am

I took a co-worker out this season. Today he shot and missed one. Is it worth sitting this spot tomorrow? I know that specific tom is unlikely to show up but I figure he is not the only turkey in the woods.
Would it be a waste of time to sit here? I dont really have a better spot is why I ask.
Thanks

retranger

Re: Miss! Is this spot shot?

Postby retranger » April 28th, 2012, 1:25 pm

No !! A couple years ago I had two Toms show up to my calling and I brought one home with me. Went back the next morning to the same spot and got the other one. :D Both birds were taken within an hour of daylight. I would try it again. ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

crookedspur

Postby crookedspur » April 28th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Great! Then I will be there. The tom came in alone, but there was another gobbling on the roost. I saw my first bearded hen which was pretty neat too.

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » April 28th, 2012, 3:08 pm

i have the exact opposite luck.. i think the NWTF gets there relocation birds from the ones i miss because when i dont kill em i never see em again.i can call hens up but no gobbler.. not even jakes
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

retranger

Postby retranger » April 28th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Yup bamabird ,,,,, comes back to the old saying,,,,"what works for one may not work for another and what works today may not work tomorrow" Thats turkey hunting. Keep after them. ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 28th, 2012, 7:43 pm

A good spot, is a good spot, is a good spot...

In the Zink 24/7 Turkey time 4 DVD, our own Brian Lovett harvests a gobbler in a field and a second tom flies off. While they are filming cutaways of Brian and his bird, the other gobbler flies back into the field and Josh Grossenbacher is able to use the terrain and get close enough to harvest the second bird.

Two gobblers from the same spot in less than an hour.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » April 28th, 2012, 8:57 pm

yep everyone but me can call or have a bird come back after a missed shot or a spook off.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

crookedspur

Postby crookedspur » May 2nd, 2012, 12:48 am

Well, we sat there the next day and had only one hen come within range. We did see other birds but they never camein range. It was surprising as we heard 6-8 gobblers on the roost. They hit the ground, shut up and went who knows where.
The next day I moved about 100 yrds and ended up shooting a jake.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 2nd, 2012, 2:59 am

If you have a good spot don't leave it. Now there might be a different scenerio to this. Did the bird your buddy missed was it in a strut zone or maybe a traveling route? If its a traveling route then yes they might still use it but they might be a little leary of the spot that you was setup at. If its a strut zone then they should be back in there the next day.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion