Tom Henned up, Or What

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
hootowl

Tom Henned up, Or What

Postby hootowl » April 26th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Can a Tom Be killed if he is Henned up, I need some advise, I called to this Tom for about 1.5 hrs, and he would not leave this certain area of the woods, He stayed in the Same area, Like he was walking back and forth, But would not leave, I tried to call to him soft and Aggresive, Nothing doing, I think I know where there roosting? Would you try and get Closer to his Roost Tree? And wait till he Fly's down, use no decoys? Do not Call at all? What would you Guys do......I can not get back at it till Monday, and I plan on leaving way early. Wish I had a Hunting Partner? :?:

Hootowl

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Tom Henned up, Or What

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 26th, 2012, 8:34 pm

If you know the area about where he was held up in, that's were you want to be. Don't call until he's on the ground, unless you hear hens talking to him on the roost. Then wait till he gobbles and cut him off with some mid-volume cutts and yelps, do that a couple times, he should cut your calls off. If he is then talk to him softer, but answer him the next couple times he gobbles, then go quiet until he flys down. Once he's on the ground nail him with some excited talk, fast yelps, cackle, cutts, then get softer. If he starts heading your way, pick your calling up a bit until he's within 50 yards or so. Then only soft calls or none at all. If your set up in his strut zone he should come looking for you, because that's where he wants to be anyway.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » April 27th, 2012, 8:54 am

Nothing is ever a given...OR a failure. There's a good chance he may NOT be henned up when you go back on Monday. I've called gobblers in that had hens with them, it takes a LOT of patience, they will often let the hens check & see if the coast is clear, THEN show themself. ;)

retranger

Postby retranger » April 27th, 2012, 2:31 pm

That is turkey hunting :D As you found out that tom can be killed, you just have to keep at it. I usually carry a hen decoy and if I have time will put it out. Had just about the same thing last year. I talked to this bird for a good 1.5 hours and he did have hens as I could hear them. I was in the woods and would guess he was 75 yds away. I also had a lone hen in front of me just out of site about 20 yds and she was yelping away and he would answer her as well as me but would not budge. After about 2 hours everything went quiet so I moved about 100 yds and clucked and the hen that had been there before was still there and she answered me and came with 10 yds of me, then the tom started in again and we all chatted for a bit. Wan't only about 15 minutes and I was carring that tom out of the woods.
Remember what works for someone else may not work for you and what works one day may not work another. Thats what makes it exciting (or frustrating :mrgreen: ) Just have to keep after them!! ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

lxtagle

Postby lxtagle » April 27th, 2012, 8:57 pm

[quote="hootowl, I called to this Tom for about 1.5 hrs, and he would not leave this certain area of the woods, He stayed in the Same area, Like he was walking back and forth, But would not leave, I tried to call to him soft and Aggresive, Nothing doing, I think I know where there roosting? Hootowl[/quote]

Buddy, welcome to our world of trying to unlock the mind (and heart) of a thunder chicken. It may be one of the following or a combination of. Let me give a shot to help you.

My friend and I had the same thing happened to me, at different hunts, different states, for that matter. Both birds, respectively, behaved exactly as what you described. After our birds moved on, we got up to find out what had just happend; why they did not commit. Well, came to find out there was an obstruction. In my case it was a creek. In my friends case, it was a slough-like body of water. I tell you this, to tell you this:

Find out if indeed there was an absturction, maybe a fence of a sort. Since you have an idea of their roosting area, change your set up. Secondly, I understand you did call for an 1.5 hours, soft & aggressive. A big no-no IMO. If he was coming to you and stopped, it may have been when you got aggressive. He may have thought you were coming to him. Thirdly, a hen may have been talking to him on the roost. In that case, you "fly down" first. Try that sequence, follow with a few soft calls and HUSH! If more than 30 min. passes with no sign of him, just spit out a few purrs and clucks - SOFTLY & wait. So get to know the area better, eliminate possible obstructions by adjusting your set-ups, add some realism & try some decoys (I like a bedded hen & a jake/full strut decoy), and finally, if he seems to be responding - less calling is more effective.

Good luck, happy and safe hunting! ;)
Fun, Friends, Family! p.s. If you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.
- "Don't Quit!" ("buckhuntr15 in D&DH forum)

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion