learning and relearning calls ....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
homunculi

learning and relearning calls ....

Postby homunculi » April 25th, 2012, 2:12 pm

ok i have used mouth calls, box calls, but i am getting frustrated for some reason this year i cannot keep the box call quiet after i make a call .. setting it down picking it up ...

i have tried rubber bands to keep it quiet and well the cloth did not work out to well had to re-chalk the call :?
i have not ever tried a slate call i seen a kit that has a owl, crow, slate, and mouth call and on sale right now to get all of them

so it is back to turkey 101 for me after all these years what do crows and owls have to do with turkey .. i thought owls were a predator to young ones..
other than a funny story on crossbow nation i do not know the exact correlation of crow and turkey ... :oops:

so i thought i would ask and get all the cob webs out of my brain work is kinda crazy and i have been a little confused and foggy these past 2 weeks

thanks

Cut N Run

Re: learning and relearning calls ....

Postby Cut N Run » April 25th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Crow and Owl calls are used to make a turkey shock gobble to locate their position. I don't use them much, but they can help.

For keeping your box call quiet, get yourself an inexpensive hook & loop watch band and slide it onto the call from the end of the paddle. It will allow you to move around freely without your call telling on you. The watch band won't have nearly as much play as a rubber band and won't allow the paddle to slide around.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 25th, 2012, 2:49 pm

homunculi wrote:what do crows and owls have to do with turkey

They will sometimes get a turkey to shock gobble. But there are so many crows around here the turkeys mostly ignore them. Owl hoots work sometimes but only in the morning right before and right after first light.
I preferred to yelp and cut in order to locate a turkey. A big fan of slate calls, they must be of good quality to consistently produce. My favorite slate is a Woodhaven slate which has brought at least 100 turkeys to the gun. This year I bought Willowridge Deathwish and used it for the first time, it certainly did work story is over in WI state section.
A rubber band like the ones they use around a bunch of broccoli keeps my box call quiet until its needed.
Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

homunculi

Postby homunculi » April 25th, 2012, 3:12 pm

charlie elk wrote:
homunculi wrote:what do crows and owls have to do with turkey

They will sometimes get a turkey to shock gobble. But there are so many crows around here the turkeys mostly ignore them. Owl hoots work sometimes but only in the morning right before and right after first light.
I preferred to yelp and cut in order to locate a turkey. A big fan of slate calls, they must be of good quality to consistently produce. My favorite slate is a Woodhaven slate which has brought at least 100 turkeys to the gun. This year I bought Willowridge Deathwish and used it for the first time, it certainly did work story is over in WI state section.
A rubber band like the ones they use around a bunch of broccoli keeps my box call quiet until its needed.
Good hunting.

thanks guys after my trip to the hosp i am 2nd guessing myself a lot right now ... i will get back into the swing of things .. soon and charlie .. you avatar pic reminds me of the admin over at crossbownatio.com forum .....

homunculi

Postby homunculi » April 25th, 2012, 3:14 pm

the story is a little funny i think ... here it is

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:10 AM
Crows will harass turkeys sometimes. I've seen them gang up over a hen's nest cawing and swooping down at her. Probably hoping to run her off to get the eggs. I've seen them fly over gobblers too and harass them.

But as to why the turkey flew up to see the crow:

You see, long long ago the turkeys and the crows were friends. The crows stood guard while the turkeys scratched around, and after they were full they scratched back more leaves so the crows could get some bugs too. But one day a group of gobblers who thought they ruled the roost and were too good to help the crows wouldn't scratch up the dirt for the crows that sat overhead watching for them. One of the crows called down and asked the big turkeys, "Aren't you going to uncover some bugs for us to eat? We have been watching the forests for you so that a coyote doesn't run in and snatch you away, and we are hungry."

But the turkeys replied, "We didn't ask you to watch over us. Go find your own bugs!"

So the crows flew down and pecked the heads of the big gobblers and ran them off. And to this day they do not get along.

So, I'd say the turkey saw the crow up in the tree and thought it would make friends and get the crows to watch over them again, but since crows never forgive or forget the other crow flew over to intimidate it.

So says Rangerhawk! :D

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 25th, 2012, 6:38 pm

round here crows will worry the heck out of turkeys, i always listen for turkey sounds when i hear a group of crows going off, case in point, just today on the way home from hunting i saw a turkey duck into the woods on the way home, there were 2 crows standing on the side of the road where he went in the woods, when i rode past the turkey i looked and saw it was a gobbler, so i had to turn around :roll: , when i got close to where the birds were the turkey came out of the woods ran across the road in front of me, and the crows were right on his a?s.....btw, that was the only turkey i saw today.....and i use the brocolli rubber bands and a three dollar bill to keep my call quiet.....good luck to ya
David

You never know, unless you go

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion