Just Like Mark Hay

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
eggshell

Just Like Mark Hay

Postby eggshell » April 24th, 2012, 2:37 pm

My first two days of season can be described as DITTO to Mark Hay's post. Very little gobbling and I have not had a bird answer my call yet. The wind has been atrocious with gust to 40+ MPH. Yesterday was a complete bust with only a few roost gobbles then silence. Today was more of the same, but I did walk up on gooblers strutting twice, on log roads. The first two I had made a set up and called softly with no reply and decided to move only to walk about ten steps and see two gobblers in the log round, but they saw me too. Later I came around a bend in a log road to see two big tail fans 100 yards ahead. They had their butts towards me so I got down and set up, but they looked back at my seductive offerings once and slowly strutted off down the road and over the hill following a hen. That's my first two days!
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Cut N Run

Re: Just Like Mark Hay

Postby Cut N Run » April 24th, 2012, 2:47 pm

It sounds like you're in the right place Dana. Good luck & have fun.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 24th, 2012, 3:26 pm

keep the faith Dana sounds like your doing things right it's just a matter of time ...wayne

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » April 25th, 2012, 12:19 am

You know where the turkeys are buddy, just wait til they get done with those hens and you should see the activity pick up.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 25th, 2012, 9:13 pm

more of the same today...I got staying power. Ahhh just more hunting time

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 26th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Just a matter of time and they'll be riding in the truck.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 26th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Finally today I was on birds. One nearly took a ride in my truck too. I had birds on three sides and was doing the old scoot this side then that side of the tree until I had worn a groove around it. Then wouldn't you know a fourth bird shows up without announcing himself and on one of my scoots I hear a resounding PUUTT RIGHT IN MY EAR FROM BEHIND! AAAAARGGG, I turned to shoot but he was in fast retreat and offered no shot. All the other birds shut up, so i circled the last know location of two and struck the call and got a response, they showed but they were jakes and with our poor hatch last year I chose to leave them for seed. However, about next week they better keep their distance, LOL. It was great to finally get some action after three days of silence. All this on the same ground that has been silent.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion