I got my Brother-in-law one!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
xcal1ber

I got my Brother-in-law one!

Postby xcal1ber » April 23rd, 2012, 1:09 am

Well the second weekend of the spring season usually means one thing, and that is when my BIL comes down for our annual hunt.. Every year I will always have him a bird roosted but something crazy always happens and he has yet to connect on a long beard.. Rain was in the forecast for saturday morning so I told him we was going to set up the blind me and him split on last year in this field where I had seen a tom strutting just the day before. we were also going to put out a couple of hen decoys too. That morning we are sitting in the blind just hanging out, and to my surprise, the rain has held off. It got to "that" time and we heard the big tom gobble on the roost probably 150 yards away on the hill side over looking the field... I hit him with some soft tree calls and he responded to us.. Now it is getting good and daylight, I'd say a little after 7 and I took out my box call and did a fly down cackle followed by some excited yelps, probably a minute later we seen him sail down from his tree into the field and land probably 100 yards away, as soon as he hit the ground he was strutting. I let my girls (the decoys) do the talking from there and he zig zaged his way to 40 yards.. My BIL being inexperienced, said "I can hear that thunder off in the distance, so the rain is moving in". I said "That's not thunder Ronnie, thats him spitting and drumming"! Anyways, he was hung up out at 40 yards and I was making my BIL hold off because the turkey might come on in. Well a minute or so later a couple hens started cutting in the woods and didn't stop for 5 minutes, and that had that ole gobbler fired up. After finally hearing so much cutting and realizing our hens wouldn't gonna budge, the tom turns and starts walking. That is when I told my BIL to take the shot now because the tom was about to walk out of our lives forever.. This is where it gets interesting lol... My BIL takes the shot, and the bird falls and rolls and gets back up and takes off, then my BIL shots again and the bird stumbles again and gets back up and takes back off! So I grab the blind at the bottom and flip it over our heads and we step out and I shoot twice and he shoots one more time and the tough bird finally lays down!! Lol.. I would say that my BIL's first 2 shots done the old bird in but by no means did we want him to get away.. Anyways My BIL got his first gobbler, and he couldn't be any more thrilled! It truly was an awesome morning because that tom put on a show!

9 1/2 inch beard
1 1/16 inch spurs
24lbs
Attachments
Picture 012 (Copy).jpg
Picture 012 (Copy).jpg (106.33 KiB) Viewed 87 times
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: I got my Brother-in-law one!

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 23rd, 2012, 1:38 am

Congrats on calling in another good bird.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 23rd, 2012, 1:40 am

Awesome gobbler and awesome hunt!!!!!!! them wascally old wabbits are hard to get down some times :lol: :lol:
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 23rd, 2012, 2:17 am

Good job X, glad you was able to get your BIL a bird. That will be one hunt neither of you will forget.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » April 23rd, 2012, 7:59 am

Congrats to him on a great bird! :)

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » April 23rd, 2012, 8:37 am

nice bird. congrats!!!
he must have been one tough SOB! :lol:

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 23rd, 2012, 8:45 am

Good for both of you! Glad you helped him get the monkey off his back. Congratulations.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 23rd, 2012, 12:01 pm

team work boys ,,,congrats

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 23rd, 2012, 6:18 pm

Great story and pic, thx for sharing. Congrats to you and your BIL!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » April 23rd, 2012, 7:38 pm

Sounds like an awesome hunt, good job!

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion