Fullfan Jr. " Gets-R-Done

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Fullfan

Fullfan Jr. " Gets-R-Done

Postby Fullfan » May 12th, 2008, 12:43 pm

was leaving to go to work last night and Jr. and I were watching the weather. He said to me looks like it will be a good morning to sleepin. I responded by telling him" You can't kill them by staying in bed"
I told him to put his cell phone under his pillow and I would call him at 0430. I made the call and he was up waiting for me to get home. We made the short drive and got to where I wanted to be. I knew the birds would be starting late if they gobbled at all due to the wind and rain . I think he was about to give up hope when at 0609 the bird we were after let a gobble rip. And just like many other mornings I point in one direction, and he in the other. (I have since learned to trust his hearing.) We got setup and I received a answer on my first set of calls. Well as things go in the spring woods the bird only gobbled twice more on the ground and that was it. We got up and moved about 50yds closer to the bird and I called and a hen cut back at me. Okay game on girl. She would cut me off every time I called, on about out 35th move I whispered to Jr. this is it the woods are too open and we might bump them. No sooner did I get that out of my mouth and Jr. said don't move here comes a hen, and another and 5 others followed buy you guessed it strutting the entire way. They were about 75yds out and I made a call, the hen cutt back and he gobbled. I cutt at her and she cutt back and he again gobbled. They came to 32 steps and I thought you are in trouble mister. Jr. and I were setting almost on top of each other. I could feel his breathing get short and heavy, his gun bobed and weaved like he was on a ship and I thought he will never be able to hit the gobbler. I whispered get ready, no reply from Jr. I nudged him, the safe went "click" I cutt and the lead hen had us dead to rights, she got nervious and the gobbler dropped out of strutt. I whispered "kill him" and the gun roared. Birds flew everywhere and Jr. was up and running. As he got to his bird he raised his arms and gave me a big smile and said " we did it dad" After a few hugs and high fives we were off to the truck. Great morning for us, 08 has been full of excitement.We have had 4 other longbeards in and he just could not get a good shot,to having spitting contest when the birds did not come, and me getting knocked off my feet by a eletric fence that has not been on for the past 3 springs.
There is never a dull moment when we are hunting. I guess that is what it is all about. Just seeing him grow to love the sport and the great outdoors. I am proud to call Austin my hunting partner and my son.

His bird weighed 23.04 lbs
10 3/4 " heavy beard
and 1 1/8 hooked spurs..

Fan Club

RE: Fullfan Jr. " Gets-R-Done

Postby Fan Club » May 12th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Congrats Harmon and Austin!

That's awesome and the pictures are beautiful. Well done.

JB
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

multibeard

Postby multibeard » May 13th, 2008, 2:26 am

Crongratulations to the young man!!!

Nothing better than a sucessful hunt with the young ones.

I had the pleasure of calling for my grandson this week end.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » May 13th, 2008, 3:15 am

That smile says it all...congrats guys....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 13th, 2008, 4:18 am

that is one happy hunter and one proud dad...congrats to the both of ya'll.
i can't wait till my daughter connects on her first bird...gotta love it. that rock makes for a very nice pic...they really look great...congrats again.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

ct swamphunter

Postby ct swamphunter » May 13th, 2008, 6:00 am

Awesome looking bird, Congratulations.

turk2di

Postby turk2di » May 14th, 2008, 1:01 am

Congrats to the youngster!

MAK

Postby MAK » May 14th, 2008, 7:52 am

Congrat's dandy Gobbler, dandy picture. That boy will remember (so will Dad) that day the rest of his life.
MAK

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion