My aggravation scale is red lining

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Re: My aggravation scale is red lining

Postby Cut N Run » May 4th, 2012, 5:28 pm

All I really need a gobbler to make a fatal mistake without somebody else messing me up first. Thanks for the prayer offering though. It is not a matter of life or death for me to tag turkeys, but I'd be a lot easier to live with if i managed to get the monkey off my back. There must be some reason my wife has chosen to take her horse up to Virginia this weekend, but I can't positively put my finger on it right now. Hmmmmm.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » May 4th, 2012, 6:42 pm

My lady friend says i'm not a very nice person during turkey season. getting up at 4.45 and then working all day. she says i'm like a zombie. I don't know what she's talking about.
Clyde

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 6th, 2012, 10:08 am

RCTaylor wrote:My lady friend says i'm not a very nice person during turkey season. getting up at 4.45 and then working all day. she says i'm like a zombie. I don't know what she's talking about.

Have you mentioned wanting to eat her brains? Just kidding.

I'm running on auto-pilot much of the time too. The past two months are my wife's least favorite time of the year to be around me. She says I make too many turkey sounds, I barely sleep, and I can disappear for hours at a time in a moment's notice. I don't eat right either BTW. Do you think there may be some correlation between my turkey hunting addiction and why she packed up her horse on Friday and left for a 4 day weekend in Virginia this weekend? There's just one week of turkey season to go and I'm running out of gobbling birds to hunt...work keeps getting in my way too.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 6th, 2012, 9:01 pm

After only seeing a lone hen on Saturday morning's hunt, I have decided to do some creative schedule rearranging for work tomorrow morning and see if I can find a gobbler with a death wish at the other horse farm.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 7th, 2012, 8:56 am

No gobbles this morning either. All I heard was a guy on a crow call just after dawn trying to get a shock gobble. He was just across the property line from me ~200 yards away. I thought I might have the woods to myself today. No such luck. Sadly, I had to pack it up and get back to the office before 10.

I got a call from my best friend and turkey hunting buddy who tagged out at his farm this morning with a 20 pound gobbler with an 11 inch beard and 1.5 inch spurs. I'm happy for him to be able to finish up with such a nice bird before he had to go back out of town for work.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 9th, 2012, 9:44 am

A little after first light this morning, I heard three gobbles from so far away, it may have been in the next zip code. I was already set up within 125 yards of the property boundary and knew I couldn't go after him. They fired up a front end loader on that property at 6:30, which either shut the gobbler up or drowned out any other calls he may have made. I saw no hens nor any fresh sign after the heavy rains we had a few days ago. I've got three days of turkey season left and work is going to mess with at least one of them.

I've hunted parts of 16 of the 26 days of this year's turkey season so far and have yet to get a mature gobbler in range. Every other turkey hunter I know around here is tagged out. *heavy sigh*

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

maineute

Postby maineute » May 9th, 2012, 10:09 am

That is why they call it hunting and not Killing, keep in there, my season has just started and I have yet to see a bearded bird myself. Keep up on the updates, I read them all, kind of hard to talk turkey when none of your friends turkey hunt.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 9th, 2012, 10:25 am

I have not see, heard or seen any sign of a turkey this spring. I have three areas I hunt, one is my honey hole and no birds. None of the areas have any birds. My honey hole has been good for at least one bird for the past 10 years but zip this year. Have not heard of any others in my area getting any birds. A couple of my buddies have had some gobbling on roast but not long on the ground they disappear. Our season runs the month of May.

PS Jim why does the beginning of your post end up in your Avatar pic?
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 9th, 2012, 11:04 am

dang it, hang in there jim and give em heck for as long as you can the next few days, we didn't hear anything at daybreak yesterday, but got 2 going at 7:45, one of which i swear was 50-100 yds away listening the whole time, but said nothing til the other started gobbling, one came from along ways off, as if on a string and my buddy missed him at 10 yds :o , i'm going to do my " gobblerdown " dance for you bro, so get ready, he's liable to pop out from behind any tree....good luck
David

You never know, unless you go

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 9th, 2012, 12:13 pm

retranger wrote:PS Jim why does the beginning of your post end up in your Avatar pic?

I'm not sure what you mean. I checked and the start of this thread goes back to my first post in it.

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I appreciate it. I'm going to continue to go hard until the last hour of the last day if I need to (and that's how it's looking).

I will not get caught without a great place to hunt again if I can help it. This has really been frustrating. Getting shut out from the lease at the last minute really hurt my chances this year. My fall back places also had people hunting them that hadn't been there in the past.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion