My aggravation scale is red lining

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
onpoint

Re: My aggravation scale is red lining

Postby onpoint » April 22nd, 2012, 8:43 am

Had the same experience last yr. on public ground, but never heard the shooter call even once and I definitely didn't get a thank you!!!!! :evil:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 22nd, 2012, 10:01 am

yes that most definitely sux, but hang in there, we both know its just a matter of time.....
David

You never know, unless you go

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 22nd, 2012, 8:05 pm

That's the same feeling I get when I let a small basket 6 -point walk by and then there's a shot five minutes after he hops the fence. Aaaarrggg!!!

Nothing you can do but grin and bear it. It has to get better the way folks have messed it up for you so far this year. Maybe next time the puck luck will swing in your favor.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 24th, 2012, 9:09 am

Went to the same block of woods today behind the other horse farm. Yesterday's rain made going through the woods quietly an easy thing...even more so by following a horse trail near where I intended to hunt. I set up in an area I'd seen a lot of turkey traffic in the past. No gobbles at all this morning. I had a lone hen roosted about 25 yards ahead and to my right. She flew down at 6:28 and followed the draw downhill away from me. They started running the backhoe, loader, and dump truck for working on the road just across the property boundary at the farm around 7:45. They were perhaps 300 yards away. It made such a racket that it completely drowned out all the sounds in the woods. I couldn't have heard a gobbler if he was standing beside me. I stayed until 9:15 and gave up because calls from work were about to make my phone vibrate a hole in my bib overalls.

So far, if my turkey season were a horse, they'd shoot it because it has been totally lame. I'm hoping for better things next time I go.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » April 24th, 2012, 10:05 am

i got a tom fired up last year mid morning and he was comin, gobblin his head off.
didnt hear another sound (call) and i was ready for him to crest the ridge when BOOM someone shot across the fence from a neighboring property about 75 yards away.
guess i should have confronted the guy, but i just left.

as far as a tough season, just gotta keep after em. took me until day 4 of my first season, but it was well worth it.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 25th, 2012, 2:40 pm

I had an inspection cancel late last night that freed me up to hunt this morning. I'm a little tired of the competition, the lack of production, & low turkey activity around the horse farms. I wanted to try the turkeys with my crossbow, so I headed for the archery-only gamelands near Falls Lake today. I knew there wouldn't be many other hunters in those woods. On the way in, I walked along a property boundary between a business and the gamelands. It was quieter than walking through the woods, but it had grown up and was kind of slow going. I got to the area I intended to hunt and set up. I brought a jake and hen decoy to give the turkey something to focus on as I tried to skewer him. Just past first light I heard a gobble so far off I could barely hear it. He hit it perhaps a dozen times and went quiet. There was no way I could get close enough to work him because the woods are re-planted pines that are super thick and just about impossible to get through quietly. I sat back and hoped something might walk along the creek in the bottom and respond to my periodic calling. Around 10:35 the breeze picked up and I threw out a few cutts and yelps on my boat paddle box call. I got an answer about 300 yards off along the creek bottom. Cool. He gobbled again and I kept quiet. A little while later I cutt and yelped on my glass pot a little bit quieter than before and he cut me off from a position between me and the creek. Game On! It sounded like he was walking up the property boundary and approaching from over my right shoulder from the southwest. I had really good cover on that side so he'd see the decoys way before he realized I was around. Three minutes after his last gobble, the people at the business behind me decided to fire up the tractor and start bush-hogging the property boundary. They would pass 30 feet behind me headed towards the turkey that was coming to my calls. Really??!!?? It had probably been a year or better since that strip was mowed and today was the day they decided to cut it again. What bad timing! Needless to say, the closer gobble was the last I heard from that turkey. I ran around the edge of the pines best I could toward the creek about 300 yards farther east from where I last heard him and quietly called a few times. I waited for another 45 minutes and heard or saw nothing besides songbirds and squirrels.

I am just getting run through the ringer this Spring, Almost anything that could go wrong, has gone wrong this turkey season. It will just make the next gobbler that much more special. I'm due an easier one now too.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

msbadger

Postby msbadger » April 25th, 2012, 4:06 pm

OMG...your having a time of it...Sorry...OK

Oh great thunderchicken in the sky...Please do your best to drum up a successful hunt for your dedicated hunter Jim aka cut n run...He's been working hard for it this spring...amen :D ;)

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 25th, 2012, 6:03 pm

msbadger wrote:OMG...your having a time of it...Sorry...OK

Oh great thunderchicken in the sky...Please do your best to drum up a successful hunt for your dedicated hunter Jim aka cut n run...He's been working hard for it this spring...amen :D ;)

x2

Jeez man, I hate it for you. Burning last year and now this. Keep after 'em it ain't over 'til it's over!!
South Carolina Low Country

dewey

Postby dewey » April 25th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Hang in there buddy and keep working hard. That way if and I mean a big if you go birdless you will have no regrets.

Good luck on the next hunt Jim.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 26th, 2012, 3:53 am

sounds much like my spring last year any thing that could go wrong did . but keep your chin up Jim things are bound to get better and you'll get that tom..wayne

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion