I'm new got any tips?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkeytracks

RE: I'm new got any tips?

Postby turkeytracks » January 1st, 2009, 2:23 pm

thanx for the advice.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 1st, 2009, 2:26 pm

Don't listen to me or any of the other know it alls on this or any other site.
[quote]ORIGINAL: silvestris

I'll have you know I resemble that remark!!
Jim

wordbird

Postby wordbird » January 3rd, 2009, 3:04 am

The Tom Kelly video mentioned above is great. There are also some other great videos out there with good instruction. One thing I will add to the good info above is to get with an experienced turkey hunter if at all possible. I did not have that luxury and learned by making many mistakes. You will do that too and I'll warn you now, after 20 years of chasing those rascals, I'm still learning from mistakes. Good luck.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

shaman

Postby shaman » January 4th, 2009, 2:53 am

Here's a tip:

Turkey Hunting Secrets

It's free.  Roger Raisch IS trying to sell you something, but he put a lot of free content up to get your attention.  I don't know him, but I do  appreciate the service he provides to beginners.

My tips?

Listen.  Listen a lot more than you call.

Get out with the turkeys. Learn the animals. Get comfortable with turkeys around you without a shotgun in hand.

Fancy gear will not save you from being a bad hunter.

Hunting Flydown looks easy, but it isn't. I recommend that beginning hunters concentrate more on what happens after Flydown. Everyone envisions a gob pitching down from the roost and coming to rest right on the end of their barrel. Starting out, you won't be that good of a caller.  Let the hens do the work for you. Leverage what they are doing and then add to it. 

JPH mentioned this in another thread recently, and it's a topic dear to my heart:  Trying to squeeze a yard or two out of you shotgun out past 40 yards makes it all the harder to take an easy chip shot inside 10 yards.  Most turkeys that come in to 40 yards will come in to 10 if given a chance. Plan your setups accordingly and make sure you understand where your pattern is going to be at 10 yards.

Despite all the hooplah, most turkeys are taken by most people inside 20 yards.  A 3" 20 GA out of a standard full choke  kills them just as dead at that range as a 3.5" 12 GA.

Take all your gear out and practice with it before season in the conditions you will be operating in.  I lost more turkeys to fogged eyeglasses than anything else until I learned better.  Calls go bad in cold and damp. Cheek welds disappear when an extra layer is added under your jacket. Rain gear leaks. It's okay to go out in March and sit under a tree in the back yard and wait for the sun to come up.  No one is going to mind. Your wife will think you're nuts, but she probably already knows that.

Cheap is good.  Cheap can be better. You can take a can of spray paint to an old pump 12 GA and make a turkey gun out of it, so long as it patterns well. Old faded camo works best for me, and nothing ever matches.

Travel light.  I gave up on a vest, because I was carrying too much gear.  I now carry a small shoulder bag and a butt pad.

Buy durable footwear.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 4th, 2009, 3:09 am

Shaman, well said and good straight forward advice.

TT, good advice from all, cannot add any more for you at this time. Best to you and have a great time chasing them longbeards.

Earl

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 4th, 2009, 3:21 am

all this advice is great ....when i started 25 years ago ....you didnt need PHD....and all the hoopla......i learned by experience......heres my advice....dont be afraid to make mistakes....learn from them....and dont make the same mistake twice....also do alot of preseason scouting locate as many turkeys as you
 can ....that way you will have plenty chances at the turkeys incase of a mistake.......[:)]

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion