My Friend Nick

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allaboutshooting

My Friend Nick

Postby allaboutshooting » April 18th, 2012, 8:38 am

On Monday evening I had a call from my friend Nick who lives in Vermont. Nick wanted to talk about 20 gauge guns, chokes and loads.

Last fall while hunting in Canada, he slipped and fell, badly damaging his hip and his left shoulder. That did not prevent him from completing his hunt but after that, he had to have hip surgery.

When his doctor told him he needed shoulder surgery and that it would take 6 months of rehab, he decided to put it off until after turkey season.

So, he's switching to a 20 this spring to try to keep the pain down in his shoulder. We discussed several options that would help and then just talked about hunting, shooting and some of life's twists and turns.

What struck me was just how tough this man is and how much the spring turkey season means to him. Nick is a combat veteran of the Korean war, a very successful businessman and an accomplished writer. Nothing within his power was going to prevent him from a spring turkey hunt in Vermont.

When I reflect on several decades of hunting turkeys, I'm reminded of just how much this sport means to so many of us and the things we'll do to hunt another season.

May Nick and all of us have many more seasons and enjoy this wonderful, crazy sport.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

onpoint

Re: My Friend Nick

Postby onpoint » April 18th, 2012, 4:34 pm

Good for Nick! I know how he feels. The neurosurgeon is wantin' to fuse C2-4. Says a bad spill could cause paralysis from the neck down. Told him we'd talk after turkey season :D Wife thinks I'm crazy. Whatta y'all think ?
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

dewey

Postby dewey » April 18th, 2012, 10:24 pm

onpoint wrote:Good for Nick! I know how he feels. The neurosurgeon is wantin' to fuse C2-4. Says a bad spill could cause paralysis from the neck down. Told him we'd talk after turkey season :D Wife thinks I'm crazy. Whatta y'all think ?

Just make sure you don't have a bad spill, problem solved.

Hey Clark that sucks about your friend. Can he shoot with his other shoulder.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 19th, 2012, 3:58 am

i have shoulder problems myself and i switch to a 20 awhile ago . i would recommend that after he decides what model he buys it's well worth it to buy a really good recoil pad and in the first season while i was waiting to heal i used 2and3/4 shells true it cuts down on the range but i could shoot it well and be comfortable . i wish you good luck and good hunting Nick ...wayne

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 19th, 2012, 8:16 am

I got a witness on how much of an obsession turkey hunting is that can make a person test the limits of good health (and good sense). Besides, living is more than existing and drawing breath. You have to get out and do what makes you who you are. I was a lot more unhappy when I couldn't get out and hunt than I ever was in pain from recoil when trying to recover from my injuries.

Good for you for being a good friend and helping him get squared away on what will suit him best to continue his pursuit of wild turkeys. Good luck to him this Spring.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 19th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Cut N Run wrote:I got a witness on how much of an obsession turkey hunting is that can make a person test the limits of good health (and good sense). Besides, living is more than existing and drawing breath. You have to get out and do what makes you who you are. I was a lot more unhappy when I couldn't get out and hunt than I ever was in pain from recoil when trying to recover from my injuries.

Jim

Amen, brother!!!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 23rd, 2012, 6:36 pm

onpoint wrote:Good for Nick! I know how he feels. The neurosurgeon is wantin' to fuse C2-4. Says a bad spill could cause paralysis from the neck down. Told him we'd talk after turkey season :D Wife thinks I'm crazy. Whatta y'all think ?

Yeah, you're crazy all right, Onpoint. Crazy about turkey hunting !!! :D

Nice post Clark. I've had one of those years myself. I needed hernia surgery but we had an important project at work that I couldn't get out of the week of March 12 -16 so I had to wait until after that. I had the operation March 22 nd, so that's cutting it pretty close. I'm just about back to 100% and the season starts here next week.

The things we do to be able to hunt turkeys. :roll:
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion