Most realistic call?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
spitten and drummen

Most realistic call?

Postby spitten and drummen » April 9th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Ok just enjoy being on here and asking a lot of opinions from everyone: what type of call would you say was the closest tone to that of an actual hen. Diaphragm, pot and peg, box, wing bone, tube , or scratch box? Oh I forgot flextones cluck and purr. I'm kidding about the flextone. Haha. So lets hear it.
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

daniel ripley

Re: Most realistic call?

Postby daniel ripley » April 9th, 2013, 6:45 pm

box call hands down. thanks, Daniel
[imghttp://genesis9.angzva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gbuster3.jpg]before%20and[/img]after

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 9th, 2013, 7:49 pm

I'm with you. A good box 100 yds away and it's hard to tell the difference between it and a real hen
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 9th, 2013, 8:25 pm

IMO, it depends on the distance your calling to the bird. From 0-50 yards, hands down it's a mouth call. From 30-150 yards it's a pot n peg. From 100+ it's a box call. Yes all calls work at any range, but at those ranges each call works its best.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 10th, 2013, 12:15 am

I think it all comes down to the person using the call. Some people are better with certain calls than others. For myself I do better with pot n pegs than anything else. A wingbone call would be my next choice to use.
Is it turkey season yet?

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » April 10th, 2013, 7:17 am

That's quite a "loaded" question, as is pointed out, by the responces ;)

For me, it's a box for distance, and a pot & peg for closer. Had to give up on the diaphram cause of my sinuses and never tried a wingbone .. but all have there place, in gettin' the job done :D
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » April 10th, 2013, 1:50 pm

I think it does depend on caller skill somewhat. There are some real good diaphragm callers out there but I am not one.

For me the box for yelps and clucks at a distance. A Morgan Frictionwood caller for purrs and soft clucks.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » April 12th, 2013, 11:30 pm

If your speaking from a "tonal" standpoint, I have to say trumpet.. Other calls are more versatile, may be better for killing turkeys.. BUt there is a tone in a hens voice that I think a trumpet produces better than even very proficient callers on other type of calls.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 13th, 2013, 8:36 am

icdedturkes wrote:If your speaking from a "tonal" standpoint, I have to say trumpet.. Other calls are more versatile, may be better for killing turkeys.. BUt there is a tone in a hens voice that I think a trumpet produces better than even very proficient callers on other type of calls.

Trumpets do have that hollow kind of tone to them like turkeys do. Some day I'm going to have to learn to run one.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 14th, 2013, 7:52 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:IMO, it depends on the distance your calling to the bird. From 0-50 yards, hands down it's a mouth call. From 30-150 yards it's a pot n peg. From 100+ it's a box call. Yes all calls work at any range, but at those ranges each call works its best.

I agree with 100% of that, but beyond range factor I would have to say Pot'n'Peg is the most versatile call in the hands of the average turkey hunter. All turkey vocalizations can be created accurately with volume control and little movement.

The diaphragm has the potential to sound the most like a real hen as it is an actual wind activated tonal vocalization but can take thousands of hours to master. A box can be difficult to purr on and controlling volume can be a issue.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion