Another Trophy Turkey

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Dixie Belle

Re: Another Trophy Turkey

Postby Dixie Belle » October 2nd, 2012, 9:25 pm

Great story man. Congratulations on your bird.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » October 3rd, 2012, 8:42 am

they're all trophies!!
big congrats and 2 thumbs up smileys!!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » October 3rd, 2012, 4:23 pm

Congards Gary nice bird , great story i agree a trophy is in the eye of the beholder...wayne

jh45gun

Postby jh45gun » October 5th, 2012, 1:06 am

Congrats on the bird I do not mind shooting young birds in the fall I think they are probably better eating. I shot two young hens this fall (Had permits for two different areas) and last year I shot a young hen also. First two years of hunting Turkeys and I prefer in the fall so I have been pretty lucky. Turkeys are a new experience where I live in Northern WI they planted some just a few short years ago and now there is a fall season them plus the spring season they have flourished. The flocks are really a success story here. There have been hunting for Turkeys in the other parts of the state for quite a few years but it has only been a few years up here to get them established and now we have hunting seasons in the fall besides the spring. When they first was getting started they did not have the fall season up here in NW WI. I consider any Turkey a Trophy they are a beautiful bird.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » October 5th, 2012, 10:09 pm

Welcome to the forum jh45.

I have experienced what you are saying about N Wis turkeys. I have a cabin in Price county and shot my first ruffed grouse in that area in 1972. I hunted Wis off and on for a while and have been hunting in N Wis every fall (mainly to hunt the ruffed grouse) since 1985. I too have watched the turkey population grow in the area of my cabin. Now I also go back to my cabin every spring to hunt turkeys and have done that for the last 7 or 8 springs.

Check out the Wis forum in the state section of this board. There are a lot of Wis guys that post on there.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 6th, 2012, 4:58 pm

man that makes me want to put a skillet on the stove..... Those young ones are great sliced and fried with mushroom gravy, man I hungry now. We have a week until season comes in and I am ready. Love messing with those young birds. I will pass the younguns for a few trips and hunt a gobbler since we only get one tag and that usually keeps me from tagging out the first day or two and I have some fun.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » October 8th, 2012, 8:05 pm

You're a natural born killer, son.

Way to go!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » October 9th, 2012, 10:59 am

Any fall turkey is a trophy by any standard.

Can't wait till I get out on Thursday here in Ontario. Season started today but a thing call work got in the way.

Way to go,

TJ
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion