first gobbles in 2011

turkaholic

first gobbles in 2011

Postby turkaholic » March 13th, 2011, 3:01 am

Like clock work the turkeys were gobbling this morning. Watched a flock of about 50 birds on Friday on my farm and they were sounding off good this morning. Does anyone from CT hunt turks anymore? This site is sad for CT hunters.
live to hunt hunt to live

Sgtshultzy1

RE: first gobbles in 2011

Postby Sgtshultzy1 » March 14th, 2011, 1:36 pm

I live on the CT/NY line near Gaylordsville.  Havent heard any birds yet but I did see a bunch of fresh tracks today.    Its the first sign Ive seen all year.  I have a game camera out that I finally have been able to get to and havent seen a bird yet on it.  Unfortunately, I have been getting alot of coyote pics on it. 

With that many birds on your farm, it looks like youre gonna have a great season..take care....Shultzy

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » March 19th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Hey Shultzy, I have family not far from you in Pine Plains. My wife grew up in Millbrook. We have a camp up in the Cooperstown area that we rent for spring and fall turkey season. I just love it up there, so much land to hunt. I hope you can see the ground. The last piles of snow are still hanging in around here. My area in eastern CT got over 85" of snow this winter.

Sgtshultzy1

Postby Sgtshultzy1 » March 20th, 2011, 7:22 am

Hey Turk...I am in Dover, real close to Millbrook.  Talk about a turkey rich environment, Millbrook is loaded, unfortunately you have to be loaded to have land there-lol.   Lots of "gentlemens" farms and estates there and a real game rich area, but no hunting access.  All of Dutchess County is getting hard to find land now with very little public land.  I actually wind up going to Cazenovia, near Syracuse for most of my hunting now.  I have a cousin that owns a dairy farm with about 1000 acres.  They may not see grass for a while there though, although I havent talked to them yet.

Most of the snow is gone now here, except for really shaded areas at elevation.   I imagine Cooperstown may still have some snow since they seem to have gotten snow later this year than we did.  Cooperstown is a beautiful area you ought to save that for yourself!!

Take Care...Russ aka Shultzy

Matt Raymond

Postby Matt Raymond » April 4th, 2011, 3:32 pm

I'm around. I'm from Higganum and hunt a small section of private land in East Haddam, and a small plot of state land here in Haddam. I've made out pretty over the past few years, I only started turkey hunting 3 seasons ago.

Matt

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » April 9th, 2011, 2:35 am

Hay Matt, Glad to see I'm not the only one. Birds are getting hot now. The big flocks are splitting up and we only have 18 days to go. I hope your season is a good one.

Return to Connecticut