2012 hunting experience in 2012?

Jellyhead

2012 hunting experience in 2012?

Postby Jellyhead » May 27th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Anybody want to share their CT experiences this year? When I called in my tag on May 7, the tag numbers had gotten up to around 1250. I was fortunate to bag two gobblers this year on private land in Litchfield County. My sense is that we were seeing more gobblers this year than in previous years. I've heard from other hunters in my area and downstate (public) that the hunting was challenging this year, with the birds particularly closed-mouthed.

This is from the State's website:

"This year (2012) will mark the 32nd consecutive year that sportsmen have hunted turkeys in Connecticut. The statewide turkey population is estimated between 35,000-38,000 birds. Healthy and numerous wild turkey populations exist throughout the majority of Connecticut’s woodlands. Last spring, 8,505 hunters took 1,424 bearded turkeys."

So if we were up to the 1200's on May 7, I assume this year's hunt exceeded last year's. Who among us had the highest tag number? What were conditions like in your area?

Quinnsolo12

Re: 2012 hunting experience in 2012?

Postby Quinnsolo12 » May 28th, 2012, 7:37 am

Hey, as a southeast CT resident this is my 3rd or 4th season hunting spring turkey. I was able to tag out this year on private land with three fine birds. First two were taken the first week of the season: Apr. 26th and 28th. Last was taken on May 17. He was still hot and with a hen. From what I've seen, this year was no different from any other year, besides the fact that like you said there may be an increase in # of toms/jakes seen/heard. First week of the season found the birds pretty fired up. On May 24 (last week of season) my dad was on a hot bird. Surprisingly with no calling needed, he flew from his perch and homed in on the hen decoy 15 yds from us. Inexperience on my dad's behalf proved it to be an unsuccessful hunt. From what I have observed, for the most part toms were henned up all throughout the season.

Bird #1
21 lbs. 5 oz. 10" beard 1" spurs

Bird #2
23.5 lbs. 9.5" beard 1 and 1 1/8" spurs

Bird #3
20.5 lbs. 9.5" beard 1" spurs

air leak

Postby air leak » May 28th, 2012, 8:27 am

Congrats to both of you. Nice, heavy birds.

I didn't get out this year until May 4th. On that morning, I called in a nice Tom @ 10:30..came in like I pulled him on a string. 19 pounds, 9 inch beard.

Overall, I hunted 10 days. I passed on a jake, and came thisclose, on 2 different hunts, of nailing a very large Tom. This guy has an extremely thick, and long beard. I suspect it may be a double beard.

I saw 9 different Toms on this piece..now there is only 8.

I saw more Toms this year than hens. That said, I would have thought that the Toms would be more aggressive..not so much.

Jellyhead

Postby Jellyhead » May 28th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Quinnsolo12/air leak:

You guys both have me beat! Both my birds clocked in at 18lbs with 9" beards, one with half inch, and the second with 3/4" spurs (no complaints). I also decided to take a pass this year on jakes, and let a couple go. Overall I had very good action this year, but I also got the feeling that the birds were definitely more henned up. My working theory is that the breeding cycle started early with all that warm weather we had in March, but we had some failed nests with the cold and wet weather we had in late April/early May when our season began. As a consequence, on some birds it felt more like the middle of the season early on.

Quinn: do you remember what your tag Number was on May 17? Also, for some reason I couldn't retrieve your photos. I'll see If I can load mine.

Quinnsolo12

Postby Quinnsolo12 » June 3rd, 2012, 2:01 pm

Sorry, I can't remember the number for that bird.

Return to Connecticut