Introducing the Newest Online Pro Staffer

The latest news from the field!
mark hay

RE: Introducing the Newest Online Pro Staffer

Postby mark hay » June 9th, 2011, 9:33 am

Congrats John . Looking forward to talkin' turkey with you . Do you have a fall season too?

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » June 9th, 2011, 10:46 am

Sure do, a short one mind you.  Starts Tuesday after our Thanksgiving in October and goes for 2 weeks.  Only allowed one bird, can be either species.  Not as much fun as the spring season IMO, but still time in the woods.  This'll only be the 4th year we've had a fall season.  First year, skunked, small jake in the second, and last year harvested a nice Tom that's still in my freezer waiting for me to do a full body mount.

Don't flush the flocks, I pattern and then ambush, don't have a dog and running at a bird that goes faster than I can go in most ways while carrying a shotgun, doesn't sound like a great strategy.

Can't wait though, goes well with duck season up here, a little of everything on the table,

John
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

retranger

Postby retranger » June 9th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Congratulations turkey john and good luck to you. Now boys I need some educating,,,,,,what is a pro staffer and what does he do????[8|]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 21st, 2011, 7:15 am

Welcome John.  I'll be interested to hear how things are going turkey-wise in Ontario.  Are you a hockey fan?

Glad to have you on board & I'm looking forward to reading your input here.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » June 22nd, 2011, 8:47 am

Have to love hockey to be Canadian.  Leaf fan though, so has been tough the last few years.  Your Hurricanes have been doing better, so you have a hockey hotbed there too.

Turkeys doing well here in Ontario, but have never had as many coyotes come in to my decoys and calling as I've had this year and have seen it with the decline in birds playing the game with me.  I think Toms are getting more call-shy quiet from gobbling and then seeing a predator come in than from getting educated by us.  IMHO though.
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

grizzly

Postby grizzly » June 29th, 2011, 12:57 pm

i would say that you have a coyote problem we had that here a few years ago and that's when i got to hunting them hard after deer season closes i think by removing them it has helped the turkey numbers some ! wayne

Previous

Return to News from Turkey & Turkey Hunting