WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHT

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
Cut N Run

RE: WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHT

Postby Cut N Run » April 3rd, 2011, 3:46 pm

A friend of my wife's has a horse farm up in Virginia and she emailed us what she thought were bear tracks going through the mud on the way to one of her barns. After studying the pics, they are no doubt mountain lion tracks. Even though she lives in a fairly remote area (outside of Floyd, Va.), I suspect the tracks belong to a cougar that was probably captive bred & released or escaped. They are very adaptable animals and exploit their environment extremely well. Between rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, deer, quail, turkeys, barnyard animals, livestock, & pets, there's a lot of food for a big cat to prey upon.

Given that her horses have not been attacked and the tracks have not been seen around there since, I imagine that cat was just passing through. It freaked her out in a big way. You can bet her horses stay locked up at night.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Ruger M77

Postby Ruger M77 » April 6th, 2011, 9:37 am

Here in PA i hear stories all the time about moutain lions its unbelievable how many people claim 2 have seen them.I have never seen any sighns of them and Im in the woods alot more than most people. Ive never heard of anybody seeing tracks or anything. If they are seeing lions its probably sombodys pet they left loose.
I eat therefore I hunt

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 7th, 2011, 3:24 am

I ththink there was a confirmed one at Crane and one south of Martinsville too. I had an up close encounter with a bobcat at Crane a few years ago. I would have shot a mountain lion at the range the bobcat was to me. I have a hard time believing they are coming in from out west unless in a IDNR truck. I am considering going down to Patoka Lake and that is not all that far from Bedford or Crane. I don't carry my muzzle loader capped, I wait until I set-up, I may have to re-think that.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Previous

Return to Off Topic