Deer Season...so far

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
Cut N Run

Deer Season...so far

Postby Cut N Run » October 31st, 2010, 4:12 am

I am happy to be able to get back in the Fall deer woods during archery season. I have not been able to bowhunt for over 3 years. I got a crossbow permit from my doctor after two surgeries failed to correct my injured shoulder. By the time I saved up enough $$$ to get the crossbow I wanted, the State of North Carolina made them legal for anyone to hunt with. I love archery season, where the deer are on fairly regular travel patterns and the bucks move more readily in daylight hours. As of yesterday, it is now muzzleloader season in this part of the state for the next two weeks, then on to firearms season until January 1st.

I set up on a place at the lease that never gets much hunting traffic. I found it last year while doing some work around the lease and scouting a new place to hunt turkeys from. I noticed there were fresh deer tracks from the same few trails and checked back on the place throughout the year to find the same thing. The tree I picked to hunt out of had to have a few limbs removed to be able to use my climbing stand on it. I also cut a few shooting lanes in winter and a path to the stand tree, so the deer would get used to them. I checked back on the place in summer to trim back any new growth and confirm that the deer were still using the place regularly. All looked good to go.

I waited to hunt the area until it was closer to the rut when I stood the best chance of seeing better bucks. It worked. Attached is a picture of the first deer I took with my crossbow. He was following a doe and grunting as he walked. They had come out of the thicket on different trails and the buck walked toward the doe, which put him broadside past my stand @ 20 yards when I shot. I heard him crash quickly after the shot.

The Doe I shot 8 days later from the same stand. She came out of the thicket before good light where I could barely seer her. She went behind some thick cover and I thought she'd gone back into the thicket. About that time, another doe was coming up a trail to my left on the other side of the ridge. Just as she went into the thicket, the original doe stepped back out in front of me (now clearly able to see) @ 18 yards. She ran to the thicket and I heard her crash quickly after the shot.

If you look in the background of the buck picture just over the left limb of the crossbow, there is a leaning tree. That is the same tree behind me & the doe in the other picture. That's how close these deer fell to each other.

The best part is that there is an active scrape line along the edge of the thicket that wasn't there when I shot the buck last week. Any size buck can make a scrape, but it means that there are probably a lot of does that use that thicket. I'll give it a few more days to rest and see if my luck continues. I intend to keep hunting with the crossbow.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

kenturkey89

RE: Deer Season...so far

Postby kenturkey89 » October 31st, 2010, 5:45 pm

Congrats Jim on your fall success on harvesting two great trophies. That buck has some really nice length on him. I took a doe last week (as mentioned on a previous post) and she was my first deer harvested with a bow. I have also seen a really nice buck that I will be chasing after this coming weekend and if I can't get the job done I'll keep at it the following weekend during opening gun season. Good luck for the remainder of your season!
Brian

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 31st, 2010, 5:48 pm

Congrats. Jim looks like you are waring them out that is a nice looking pair of deer. You made good hits on both of them the buck has a nice rack also. Keep up the good work.
Jon
Turkeybuster

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » November 2nd, 2010, 8:40 am

Nice job Jim, those are some pretty animals!!!

That broadhead you are using must be about 5" wide [:)] by looking at those blood holes!!!
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » November 2nd, 2010, 4:38 pm

ORIGINAL: BigBuckeye

Nice job Jim, those are some pretty animals!!!

That broadhead you are using must be about 5" wide [:)] by looking at those blood holes!!!

It is a Parker Crosspro 100 grain point that is 1 & 1/16th inch wide. At first I thought it was too small, but it is plenty big enough to do the job.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 3rd, 2010, 9:23 am

congrats Jim ,,,fine buck for sure ,,and doe too,,,,,,,,,,,excellent shootin' feller ,,,,,,,,,,glad you are able to go again .

Return to Off Topic