venison anyone

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
ylpnfol

venison anyone

Postby ylpnfol » June 11th, 2012, 10:09 am

i think i may be going deer hunting in a week or so, the deer are demolishing the soybeans on the farm where i got my turkeys, the owner called the other day and has gotten some " kill permits ", and i'm on the designated shooters list, so i'm breaking out the muzzleloader in june, never hunted in the summer, we'll see.....guess you gotta hurry and clean 'em up or they could get " ripe ".....
David

You never know, unless you go

Cut N Run

Re: venison anyone

Postby Cut N Run » June 11th, 2012, 10:55 am

I have shot deer in the summer using depredation permits before. It is not really like deer hunting in the Fall. I took out young does without fawns to help reduce herd numbers. It helped too. I just didn't have the stomach to take a doe with fawns and doom those fawns to starvation. Head shots with a .22 Magnum was my method of choice. It seemed more like shooting a goats or something. I had one deer processed for a friend and the others were donated to homeless shelters. None of it got wasted.

You're right about getting them dressed quickly too. I had access to walk-in coolers to hang the deer and cool them down before processing. Now, a local archery club has taken over responsibility for herd thinning on that property.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Off Topic