Snapping Turtle Traps!!!

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
SpitnDrum

RE: Snapping Turtle Traps!!!

Postby SpitnDrum » June 11th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Hmmm hadn't really thought of a beagle as a bird dog.That fella may have been on to something Mark.I wonder if a Beagle would make a good turkey dog?I havn't had much dealing with the trianing and up keep of a bird dog but manage several grouse hunts in the fall every year with one of my compadres and his pointers.Lots of fun to be had on the trail of a grouse but they aren't as numerous as they used to be through out the state.On a good day we average two to three grouse.He raises Quail and we have a blast with them too but its just not the same as if it where wild coveys.

Now Doves are another story.That is a fun bird to shoot at.We have two fields planted in Sunflower and Beans getting ready for the Sept. Dove season as we speak.Just set on a bucket and wait for em to fly in.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 22nd, 2011, 6:32 am

Shane there is no better way to spend a day than following the hounds, except for turkey that is. I had an old time hound that would follow any thing you put him on until he got on a rabbit. He would bark a few times when you got near the car just to get more time in the field. I know he would have busted up a flock as I watched him bust quail up and trail the low flyers!
Any back to the thread...This guy don't need no stinkin traps!!! It is a great video, but if you have dial-up it takes forever to load. It is worth the wait.

http://biggeekdaddy.com/miscvideos/Peop ... leman.html
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » June 22nd, 2011, 8:40 am

Oh ye that ole boy is from central Ky Steve.They aired him On Ky Afield several times.Now I never had the nerve to do that and probably never will mind you but know folks and have been several times with people catching turtle and noodling for catfish just the same way.I have seen em come up with turtles latched on fingers and judging by thier facial expressions it was hurting a bit.I reckon if you grab em the first time you feel them you'll be alright,but if you go in for a second time he will be turned and waiting on ya.

There isn't anything like a good hound and a rabbitt hunt from time to time.We raised trained and held on to one ole beagle for 13 year.She finally got to where she couldn't hear it thunder and started losing her eyesight when she was hit by a car while we where summer running her.The only dog I have cared enouph about to bury properly and the best I have seen till this day.Heck of a rabbitt hound.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » June 22nd, 2011, 6:33 pm

Sorry im getting to this thread late Shane but you are right, a good mud turtle is hard to beat. i heard they can taste like 7 different kinds of meat according what part of the body its on. I have never trapped them but i have caught my fair share on a milk jug with a very strong and large hook with some staging line and chicken gizzards. they cant sink the jug if you have the lid taped on with electric tape and just like jugging catfish, the resistence of the jug against the water makes em hook themselves! My honest view on a hard shelled mud turtle is that they are hard to clean but good to eat.[:)]
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Previous

Return to Off Topic