I didn't grow up hunting and wasnt sure

For many, hunting can be a spiritual experience. Share those insights here. Hunters of all faiths and traditions are welcome.
ghamlin10

I didn't grow up hunting and wasnt sure

Postby ghamlin10 » February 14th, 2011, 9:27 pm

I didnt grow up hunting and wasnt sure if i could kill an animal. My father in law who is a preacher started talking about turkey hunting. He then asked if i would like to go with him. I thought about it and decided to give it a shot, after all Turkey in my eyes were like Chicken and i love to eat me some Chicken. After watching a gobbler mate and strut around for about 2 hours I took the shot, it was a beautiful thing, the gobbler went down and didnt even flop, not any blood or anything. I fealt calmed and that this was the circle of life in a sense. I don't know how else to explain how i was feeling other that the hunt and the kill was a beautiful thing.

Ben Sobieck

RE: I didn't grow up hunting and wasnt sure

Postby Ben Sobieck » March 1st, 2011, 11:32 am

What a terrific story. That last part you mentioned is hard to put into words, but every hunter knows exactly what you're talking about.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » March 5th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Very well said.......hunting is nearly a spiritual thing for many guys and gals, and I think that`s maybe why it`s so hard to describe and explain. It`s a huge deal taking a life, even if "it`s only an animal".......

Hunting isn`t for everyone, but for those who have a hunter`s heart, it`s in your DNA.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 6th, 2011, 1:43 am

thanks for the insight greg . i was bought up in a hunting family and was taught at an early age that any animal that was taken for food was a blessing there for it was to be treated with respect . [:)] wayne

MoJack

Postby MoJack » March 23rd, 2011, 12:01 pm

I know what you mean.  All the guys in my family are fisherman, I kind of got this bug on my own.  I had (have) not ever actually killed an animal on purpose but I heard a buddy describing turkey hunting when we were out on a fishing trip one time.  The more I thought about it the more intriguing it sounded.  I have gone for the last 3 years and haven't got one yet, but I have come close several times and ALWAYS have a story or 3 to tell when I get out of the woods.  I saw an ad on the back of a magazine, I believe it was a Mossy Oak ad on the back of Outdoor magazine, that showed a hunter over a turkey that he had just killed and the verbiage was about how hunters should respect the game that they hunt.  It was a touching ad, and kind of solidified to me that this was part of the overall picture and that it was ok to enjoy.

Good Luck!!!

Jack
Professional Turkey Scarer Awayer

Return to Faith in Hunting