Mad at turkeys

Introduce yourself to the forum. Say hello and give a bit about why you love turkey hunting.
swamprat II

Mad at turkeys

Postby swamprat II » April 25th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Hello I'm new to this forum and thought it might be a good place to find information on better calling, decoying and anything else I can use to kill a tom Turkey. Why, I hate'em!!! they make me so mad sometimes I just hate'em, but I love to chase after them.

mark hay

RE: Mad at turkeys

Postby mark hay » April 25th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Welcome Swamprat

Let's see here ,,,
 I love to FOOL , trick , tell lies to 'em , and just general observation .

I TRY to learn from my mistakes when they make a FOOL out of me .[:D]

Hang in there feller ,,,,not everyone is successful right from the beginning . Not everyone is consistently successful either .

I'm getting fooled more than I'm foolin' them . But it's sweet when it all falls in place .

Keep an accurate and detailed journal of all turkey related outings , hunts ,and observations . It'll refresh your memory.
 Sit still,,,,,,,,,you gotta be comfortable to be able to sit like a stump ,
for hours maybe .
 Call soft ,,,call sparingly .This game of turkey hunting is the greatest . We , as the hunters want to be able to run many types of calls and be da'gum good at it too. But it's possible to get caught up in the ability to call good , instead of being practical in our calling approach to fool a gobbler .
 Give'em just enough ,,,,,as one member put it . In typical spring weather soft calls can be heard long distance by turkeys .

All of the bad points I just mentioned I am guilty of . Don't make my mistakes ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and you'll tag more birds .

swamprat II

RE: Mad at turkeys

Postby swamprat II » April 26th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Thanks for the advice, I do apprciate it. However, I'm a newbie here but I've been chasing these critters for near bout 10 years. I still get just as mad at'em every new season as I did the first season. Some folks say I'm obsessed. That could be, but I'm hunting a flock of birds that are truly scared of their own shadow. They don't make a sound once their feet hit the ground. any amount of calling will send these birds running the other way. Decoys the same thing. I hope to locate a motion decoy like I mentioned in the first post in hopes of pulling the ole boys in. No calling just a lil motion.

Return to New Members of the Forum