Kansas, Turkey hunting paradise!

Introduce yourself to the forum. Say hello and give a bit about why you love turkey hunting.
turkeyfreq

Kansas, Turkey hunting paradise!

Postby turkeyfreq » September 16th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Even though this has been my first full year of Turkey hunting. Started last fall turkey hunting, didn't know a whole lot about hunting Turkeys and alot of it was trial and error, alot of error. Just as a little back ground, I am a Soldier stationed on Ft Riley, KS (home of the BIG RED ONE, and thousands of Turkeys). I have been wanting to Turkey hunt for years but never got the oppotunity, always missed the season when home on leave and never had my shotguns with me when moving from base to base and post to post. When I got back from Iraq last year I was bound and determined to go hunting after seeing all the turkeys on this base.

It took me awhile to get my first bird here but I perservered and shot a nice Tom that had a 9 1/2" beard and 1 1/4" spurs. Later in January I was able to call in a nice hen. This Spring I low crawled 75 yards across a field and called in 8 jakes to me from about 100 yards away. I ended up shooting one that had a 5 1/2" beard. Went back out to fill my other tag and let a couple of Jakes go since I already had one Jake tagged for the Spring. I did get a chance to shoot at a couple of Toms with very long beards that snuck in on me when I dozed off with my shotgun across my lap. I had a hard time shouldering my shotgun without being seen in my hasty blind. Then in my excited state shot when the turkeys were a little out of range or I just rushed the shot from my half laying back position. Boy did the fever get me that day.

I have talked to alot of other Soldiers that live in the surrounding area off the post and they too have told me of the abundance of Turkeys here in Kansas. If any of you out there have had a similar experience in Kansas please share.

By the way my father-in-law who is an advid deer hunter and has hunted turkeys, but has yet to get one now wants to come here to Kansas to hunt Turkeys with me when I get back from Iraq this next year.

Kawboy888

RE: Kansas, Turkey hunting paradise!

Postby Kawboy888 » September 16th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Hello Mr. Straw. Welcome to the forum! Thank you for your service to our country. First hunting experiences with turkeys are priceless, I hope you never forget them. Thanks for sharing your story, I very much enjoyed reading it. Now that you have bagged a few birds with a shotgun, how about you try your hand and hunting them with a bow!!!!!!

Rich
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » September 17th, 2010, 2:02 am

Welcome aboard!  Congrats on the hunting out there.  Tons of fun!  Thanks for the report.

Thank you for your service to our country!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 17th, 2010, 1:01 pm

Hey Todd,

First of all welcome to the T&TH forum. We're very glad you're here. I'd also like to add my thank you for your service to our country. May you always enjoy hunting the big birds and may you be safe in all of your travels.

I was in Manhattan, KS a couple of years ago at a still target shoot and saw several turkeys as I was traveling around. Several folks were kind enough to invite me to come back and hunt with them but unfortunately, I've not yet been able to do that.

You are indeed in a turkey hunting paradise. Please enjoy every moment you're there.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

alabama5

Postby alabama5 » September 22nd, 2010, 5:39 pm

turkeyfreq welcome to the forum, thanks for you service to this country. Turkey hunting is the greatest sport on earth.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 23rd, 2010, 4:47 am

Welcome Todd and thank you for your service to our country. Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the birds out there.
It is a great sport and is very addictive and very rewarding at the same time.
Wish you luck and keep the stories coming we enjoy them.
Jon
Turkeybuster

Return to New Members of the Forum