ny noob

Introduce yourself to the forum. Say hello and give a bit about why you love turkey hunting.
natureboy68

ny noob

Postby natureboy68 » October 31st, 2010, 9:51 am

hey all!

first timer, been a looong time since i went hunting and figured i would give turkeys a shot (ha ha)...NYS DEC opened up turkey hunting here on Long Island (fall only so far) for a 4 day season, so i am going to try to get a bird for the fryer...will be using a blind (fully enclosed), a rossi single shot 20ga, and i am practicing some mouth calls (mostly kee-kee-run), thoguht i might get a decoy to try it out, i need to get to the range to do some patterning, any good ammo to try? ...any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

kygobbler

RE: ny noob

Postby kygobbler » October 31st, 2010, 2:29 pm

the best advice i can give you is to keep practicing with your calls and the most important is patience and more patience. as far as ammo i use winchester supreme #5 its cheap about $12 at wal-mart and gets the job done, but differ guns like differ ammo. good luck

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 31st, 2010, 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the birds.
Jon
Turkeybuster

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » October 31st, 2010, 5:57 pm

Welcome to the forum natureboy68. I have been visiting this site for a few months now and I can tell you this is an excellent place to get questions answered by some experienced and seasoned hunters.

I agree with kygobbler; keep practicing with those mouth calls as much as you can and make sure that your gun gives you a tight and consistent pattern that you're happy with. Again, reiterating what kygobbler is saying, every gun has their preference for certain kinds of ammo. I don't know a whole lot about rossi's, as I have never shot one, but I have found that Winchester makes quality ammunition to suite any of your hunting needs. With that being said, however, I have switched from Winchester to Heavy-Shot because I got a tighter choke that was designed to shoot that brand of shells.

What type of choke will you be using?
Brian

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 1st, 2010, 1:53 pm

Welcome to the forum nb68, you should get all the right info you'll need from these good ol boys. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to New Members of the Forum