Hello from Cleveland

Introduce yourself to the forum. Say hello and give a bit about why you love turkey hunting.
TeocTom

Hello from Cleveland

Postby TeocTom » January 13th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Hi to all,
I was turned onto turkey hunting when I witnessed a Tom showing off for a group of hens in a field I regularly passed by on my way to work. He strutted and drummed and put on an impressive show. That sparked my curiosity. I have only been chasing them for 3 years and have not been able to bag my first bird yet. Each year is a learning experience and I can tell you there is nothing more energizing than knowing that Gobbler is talking to you!

Happy hunting and best of wishes for all of my fellow hunters!

kenturkey89

RE: Hello from Cleveland

Postby kenturkey89 » January 13th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Welcome to the forum TeocTom, we're very glad to have you join us!

I started turkey hunting for some of the very same reasons you did. I went out to just tag along with a buddy one morning and he called in a bird to about 30 yards. When I saw that bird in full strut showing off to our 2 hen decoys I was hooked and it's only gotten worse. I also keep the same attitude as you: every year (and pretty much every hunt) is a learning experience and that's one of the things I love most about hunting in general. If you hang around this forum long enough you'll learn a lot of useful info that will make you a much better turkey hunter and outdoorsman! Good luck this Spring on bagging your first bird and I expect to see some pictures after you do![;)]
Brian

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 13th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Hey TeocTom, welcome to the forum. There is plenty of experienced hunters on here to help you out on that first tom. Try and do plenty scouting before the season and find out where they like to roost and where they go from there. For me, I like to try and get inbetween that gobbler and his hens at first light. I've had some pretty good success with that if they are not already together. Good luck.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 14th, 2011, 7:26 am

Welcome TeocTom good to have you aboard.
Jon
Turkeybuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 14th, 2011, 9:50 am

Welcome TeocTom . I see you're up by the big lake ,,,I'm at the other end by the big creek . Glad to have you with us .

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » January 14th, 2011, 10:42 am

welcome aboard TeocTom,gald you made it over to the dark side,the turkey&turkey hunting.

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » January 14th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Welcome aboard, TeocTom.   I'm just west of you.  Keep after them!

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » January 14th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Nice to meet with you.
The crazy thing about where I am able to hunt is that I believe it is serving as a nesting area. It is only hot around mid season. The gobbler I hunted last year loved to roost in a place that was hard for me to work around. By the time he hit the ground he was already heading to hens.
I was able to get up higher than he was on a ridge and beat him to high ground, had him coming to me and someone shot! They were poaching. I worked that bird for about 1hr and finally had him coming. That was heart breaking.
Anyhow, he had closed the distance down to under 100 yds before the shot went off.
I hope that doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the advice and hope to get some more!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 23rd, 2011, 5:21 am

Welcome to T&TH , a bunch of folks here to help you out with any questions you have.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to New Members of the Forum