First Timer,saying Hi

Introduce yourself to the forum. Say hello and give a bit about why you love turkey hunting.
ronmc1954

First Timer,saying Hi

Postby ronmc1954 » February 3rd, 2011, 7:46 am

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and this will be my first time turkey hunting this spring. Pretty much been hunting all my life but have never tried turkey hunting and it will be with a bow to start with.
I have been studying, reading and searching forums for tips for the opening of the season.
I should be set for all the tools I need, blind, decoys, a couple of different calls and a pretty good spot to hunt.
I just found this forum a couple of days ago and it looks like there is a lot of info here to soak up.

Looking foward to participating on your forum and to hunting this spring.

Ron Mc
NE Nebraska

dewey

RE: First Timer,saying Hi

Postby dewey » February 3rd, 2011, 8:19 am

Hey Ron welcome to the forum and good luck hunting this spring. What are your plans for this spring? I assume you hunt in NE?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ronmc1954

Postby ronmc1954 » February 3rd, 2011, 8:46 am

Thanks Dewey, I will be hunting over by Verdel/Lynch NE, family farm (in-laws) I was hunting deer there early december and had about a dozen turkeys hanging around about 10 feet away as I was sitting in a make shift ground blind. They hung around for about 15 minutes, pretty cool!! I need to get out and do some scouting but the location I was sitting is right next to a great bass pond so if I get board I can change to fishing LOL.
The area is rather large so I need to do some homework to find out when and where they might be traveling. They came around my blind about 2 in the afternoon, so we will see what happens.

What part of MN are you from? I get up to Gaylord/Mankato quite often on business.
Ron

dewey

Postby dewey » February 3rd, 2011, 9:35 am

Hey Ron,

I live in Crystal MN, a suburb of Minneapolis, and I go hunting for Eastern turkeys near Rollag & Detroit Lakes MN. It looks like you have Merriam turkeys down there possibly even Eastern turkeys and possibly some cross breeding going on. Looks like you are pretty close to the MO river and I would imagine that is some pretty good hunting country. I am not sure how much you know about turkeys so if you already know the stuff I am going to mention don't be offended. Go to the NWTF website I have linked below to check out the different species and approximate ranges of the turkeys. There is also a good description of each of the turkeys listed.

http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/all_about_turkeys.html

To locate birds in the spring I would try roosting them or talk to your in laws to see where they are hanging around. You will be very glad that you started turkey hunting this spring when you hear that first gobble and they start getting closer and closer. It sounds like they are standing on your shoulder gobbling, needless to say I really enjoy it.

Also check out the Turkey and Turkey Hunting forum titled 'Decision Time' by Brian Lovett. He explains the 'Decision' he is in and then ask what you would do. After reading the he goes through the 'Conclusion'. It is a great way to learn what others have learned without having to learn things the hard way.

Good luck this spring and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ronmc1954

Postby ronmc1954 » February 3rd, 2011, 10:50 am

Hey Dewey, no offense taken!! I am what I call the "absorbsion mood" I will read and gather all info I can so I can be some what prepared for the hunt. I am kind of a challange hunter I really like to do something I have never tried before. It reminds me of the first time I tried whitetail with a bow. It took a while but when I shoot my first deer with a bow (doe) It satisfied the challenge part of the hunt, I can still remember the deer walking up, the shot and the meat, best thing I ever had. Not that I have never had venision just this was special meat!
So thanks for the link and any others you might suggest. I listen to the experts! which I am not and know it. LOL
Your right about the MO river but just a few mile to the north from where I hunt. I am getting more excited every day and at my age it takes alot for me to get excited. LOL

Ron
Ron Mc
NE Nebraska

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 3rd, 2011, 12:48 pm

Welcome Ron this is a good forum to hang out on and wish you the best of luck in the spring. Archery hunters generaly make good turkey hunters basically because they have the patience and are woods wise and very observant. So you are off to a good start I don't think you will have any trouble adapting other than the addiction that goes with it.

Jon
Turkeybuster

dewey

Postby dewey » February 4th, 2011, 5:15 am

Hey Ron,

I just noticed that on the NWTF website they show a small area of Rio's in the MO river area of SD and NE. I think you would need to talk to the local wildlife folks to find out if this is actually true or not but you could be on a turkey hunting gold mine.

Good luck.

Dewey

       

ronmc1954

Postby ronmc1954 » February 4th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Thanks dewey; my internet is down maybe for the weekend. I am on my cell.
My brother inlaw does a lot of turkey hunting u can bet I will be hooking up
With him. I will be checking on the rios.
Last time I drove over to my hunting area I bet I saw over 75 birds a long the way.

Ron

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » February 4th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Welcome aboard, Ron.   Tons and tons of great info on this site.  Enjoy!

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 4th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Glad to have you join the forum, Ron. Look forward to hearing some good stories from you!
Brian

Next

Return to New Members of the Forum