Hello From North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Introduce yourself to the forum. Say hello and give a bit about why you love turkey hunting.
Big10Inch

Hello From North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Postby Big10Inch » February 12th, 2011, 8:38 am

[font="Arial"]I've been hunting for about 40 years, mostly ducks and partridge. I got into turkeys 3 years ago and I am addicted! I am now on our local NWTF committee (Blue Sky Longbeards). I hope that my past experience with DU helps. We are a small chapter and we have to work hard to generate members because there are no turkeys in our immediate area. We are probably at the most northern peak of the turkey range here.

I've gotten my girlfriend into turkey hunting and we hope that she connects with her first bird this year.

I was skunked my first year turkey hunting, but I did have encounters with turkeys that I managed to screw up. I have filled both of my spring tags in the last 2 years. The best thing I did to advance my knowledge of turkey hunting was to go on a guided hunt. The guide told me to observe, listen, ask questions, absorb and I did. This helped a ton! Last years birds were taken on my own and this was very rewarding.

I hunt about 4 hours southwest from my home, so scouting is limited to the weekend before I hunt. Through a series of fortunate circumstances, I now have the use of about 1000 acres of farmland/hardwoods to hunt with one farmer. Of course, he knows where the turkeys are because he spends most of his spring days in the fields. He sends me off in the general direction and I do the rest.

I stumbled onto this site last year and joined this year. I have found a lot of good information here as well as a lot of interesting stories. I even had Clark respond to my second post. (Sorry Franco, I kind of railroaded your post.)

Everyone here seems so helpful and friendly. I look forward to spending time on this site with you.

Peter

Turkeybuster

RE: Hello From North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Postby Turkeybuster » February 12th, 2011, 12:00 pm

HI PETER
Welcome it's good to hear from somebody way up in the North country. I have heard the birds are doing good up there sure hope this continues. It will be nice to hear some hunting stories from you this spring so keep us posted.

Jon
Turkeybuster

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 14th, 2011, 6:14 am

Welcome to T&TH Peter, ask all the questions you want, there are a lot of good hunters here.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Big10Inch

Postby Big10Inch » February 14th, 2011, 6:37 am

Hi Scott:

With all of the information available on this forum, there is almost no need to ask questions. I find myself absorbed reading old posts and all of the other newbie Q and A.

Just a thought...I wonder if Clark has kept track of how many times he has linked to his 'deep clean' advice? Good stuff, I think that 'deep cleaning' will be my project next weekend.

Peter

dewey

Postby dewey » February 14th, 2011, 10:26 am

Welcom to the forum Peter and good luck to you and your girlfriend this spring.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » February 15th, 2011, 5:50 am

Welcome aboard, Peter!  Good luck this spring.

Return to New Members of the Forum