turkeydoghunter

RE: Of Turkey Dog and Baby Coons

Postby turkeydoghunter » June 29th, 2011, 11:26 am

coons do stink
Break em at Night...Back at light

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 1st, 2011, 7:22 am

Maybe, but somewhere along the line in my hunting I learned that I did not have to kill everything just because.........
My grandson found great delight in those baby coon.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » July 2nd, 2011, 2:44 am

Sounds like you have an up and coming hunting pal in the making with your pup. I sure would like some info because I have been asked by Florida Fish and Wildlife to take part in a survey concerning a rule request pertaining to the use of Turkey dogs during our fall season. Dogs would be prohibited during spring season, archery and black powder deer seasons and only allowed on private land and not in Wildlife management areas. For me to give a more informed opinion could any of you fellows who are experienced with Turkey dogs fill me in a little on how they might affect the hunting on surrounding land, effects on the flocks in general and any other info that would aide me. I do understand the basic concept of flushing and then calling, sort of like other dog assisted bird hunting, but I have never been in a hunt with a Turkey dog so any opinion I would give to the FWC would not come with any history or knowledge of using a dog.
I don't want to start any uproar or arguments here I just need some information.

Thanks in advance for any and all info you guys can give,
Ted

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 3rd, 2011, 3:22 am

I too am new to turkey dogging this will be my first year and with a new pup. The fellow you should chat with is John Freis he is largely responsible for getting dogs legalized here in WI.  His website www.turkeydog.org has lots of very good information. 
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 4th, 2011, 4:33 am

Charlie,

don't get me wrong, I am not an advocate of poaching or lawlessness. we have a season on coons in Ohio also, but our law allows you to kill nuisance coons around your home or crops. Coons have been such an aggravation and damaging to my property and truck patch, they get no passes on my place. Now away from my home and crops I would not bother one. Actually I pulled my dog away from one in the woods not long ago, we were in his turf. I was mostly just jesting, sorry for the offense. Ohio law actually states you must kill all nuisance coons you trap around your home and or crops and farm. When season is in there is no limit. I used to be a big coon trapper, but when the fur market busted I and most others quit, so coon populations exploded. I caught 13 in my garage one  year and had to build a lock box around my dog food. Yes, I actually despise coons, I learned what they would do to fowl of any kind when we raised chickens and they chewed their way in and killed all but one of our hens in three nights.

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » July 4th, 2011, 9:59 am

Thanks Charlie,
I will take a look see at the link. Lots of luck this fall. As far as the coons go, the fellow who has the property next to mine traps and relocates them in an attempt to reduce the pressure on our birds. but our properties are along a river bottom, which is like a coon super highway, so who knows if it will work. Guess we will find out later this summer when the young birds start to show up in the open.

Thanks again for the input,
Ted

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 6th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Hi Belle....sure hope you give dogging a chance in FL
Break em at Night...Back at light

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting