He shoots, he scores!

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
allaboutshooting

He shoots, he scores!

Postby allaboutshooting » October 22nd, 2011, 1:41 pm

I went hunting this morning in an adjoining county with a long-time friend and his 12 year old grandson. The major goal was to get his grandson a turkey.

It was a classic fall hunt. A cold morning, heard the woods wake up, followed by hearing a few clucks and a gobble. Tried a few kee-kees and nothing.

After 2 hours, we got up, I looked around the bend and saw 11 birds, including a gobbler.

A little sneak down a ravine to come up on the other side of them, a rush and a good bust!

We sat down and waited about 5 minutes before I began to kee-kee and immediately had birds answer. Within another 15 minutes we had 5 birds out in front of us.

The grandson took his, I took one and my friend missed. It really did not matter to him, he was so happy for his grandson and I wish you could have seen the look on the young man's face. Priceless.

It just does not get much better than that.

Now Doris and I will hunt our place together and hopefully we'll both get a bird as well.

Good hunting to all.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

Re: He shoots, he scores!

Postby Steve_In » October 22nd, 2011, 3:41 pm

Way to go getting that youngster a bird! You didn't use him as a dog for the bust did you? I know before I was allowed to carry a gun my brothers used me as a beagle. Sometime they even let me carry the rabbits. If I had it to do over again I would do it with pleasure.
Good luck to you and Doris
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

maineute

Postby maineute » October 22nd, 2011, 8:31 pm

I as well am interested to hear how you busted them up?
It is etremely important to get the young ones out hunting. If there is no incoming hunters there is no future. Great job!

dewey

Postby dewey » October 22nd, 2011, 9:31 pm

Congratulations Clark and to your friends grandson on his turkey. How many tags do you have down there? Do you have any pictures to share with us?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 22nd, 2011, 10:21 pm

Congrats. Clark to all of you and especially the youngster you probably have added another lifer to our ranks.
It was a story book hunt by the sounds of it. Good luck to you and Doris and keep us posted.

Jon
Turkeybuster

grizzly

Postby grizzly » October 23rd, 2011, 3:28 am

CONGRADS to you Clark and the young man on your turkeys it sounded like it was a fun hunt...wayne

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 23rd, 2011, 6:07 am

Well done, congratulations to all
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 23rd, 2011, 7:48 am

Steve_In wrote:Way to go getting that youngster a bird! You didn't use him as a dog for the bust did you? I know before I was allowed to carry a gun my brothers used me as a beagle. Sometime they even let me carry the rabbits. If I had it to do over again I would do it with pleasure.
Good luck to you and Doris

Hey Steve,

Thank you. I had 3 older brothers and I too was the "dog" on several hunts. I learned to tramp the briars and brambles to flush out rabbits pretty well. Two of those brothers are gone now and I'd agree with you, "If I had it to do over again I would do it with pleasure."

Thanks again,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 23rd, 2011, 8:00 am

maineute wrote:I as well am interested to hear how you busted them up?
It is etremely important to get the young ones out hunting. If there is no incoming hunters there is no future. Great job!

Thank you. We had been at the edge of a field overlooking a meadow. The birds were at the edge that same field when I saw them around a bend, north, from where we'd been set-up but maybe a little far for a direct run at them, so we decided a little "sneak" was appropriate.

We dropped off into a little ravine that ran along just inside the wood line, bordering the field and, as quietly as possible sneaked down that ravine until we found a trail leading back out to the field. At that point, we had circled the birds and were on the other side of them. We made our way down the trail, then I ran out and fired my gun in the air. They flew, scattering in 3 directions, a great bust.

Frankly, we probably could have shot 3 birds there but the real fun is in calling them back and I wanted the young man to be able to experience that.

Thanks again,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 23rd, 2011, 8:15 am

dewey wrote:Congratulations Clark and to your friends grandson on his turkey. How many tags do you have down there? Do you have any pictures to share with us?

Dewey

Hey Dewey,

Thank you. He and his Granddad were very happy folks as was I. In Illinois in the Fall we an 8 day season and we can apply for a maximum of 2 shotgun tags. We must also apply by county and I was fortunate enough to get 1 tag in 2 different counties this year.

I did not think to take a camera but I'm sure my friend took some pictures when they got home.

Thanks again,
Clark

Next

Return to Fall Hunting