Ontario opening fall season a bust!!

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
TurkeyJohn

Re: Ontario opening fall season a bust!!

Postby TurkeyJohn » October 21st, 2011, 10:22 am

Well, the last day I'm able to get out before the season closes on Sunday was today and glad to see it over. Had 3 farms to hunt, all typically have spring birds and have taken birds or almost off 2 of them. Hard to believe that not only did I not harvest a bird in 2 hard weeks, but didn't even see one. Not even sign. Not sure where they've gone but hope they'll be back for spring, I know they will. I think it's a case of too much feed and forage to choose from, so now that they're flocking up, if you don't get in them big time, you may not even see one.

Anyway, still have my Tom in the freezer to mount from last year. Makes him look all the better after this season.

Good luck to all that are still in the chase and congrats to all that have been lucky enough to harvest a bird,

TJ
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

maineute

Postby maineute » October 21st, 2011, 3:28 pm

Sounds like a tough hunt, I had similar problems, where hey usually were in the spring they weren't there. I had to go to places where I would find them in the past falls or places where I would find them during the deer hunting season. Keep your eyes open in the next few weeks and consider it scouting for next year.
If nothing else it is good exercise.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » October 21st, 2011, 8:39 pm

sorry to hear you didn't get your bird, glad to hear you hung in there til the end, fall hunting can be frustrating to say the least, as you just experienced, i guess thats why a lot of people don't do it..... i just look at it as being different from spring hunting....i'm sure had you had more time, you'd have scored.....good luck on your next hunt
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting