fall Hunt

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Bowman

fall Hunt

Postby Bowman » July 31st, 2008, 2:25 pm

I think they should have it for hens in the fall, because where we are, we are over run with hens and few toms. I would like to see the hens be harvested to bring the ratio to a better status quo to equel it out so that  the spring hunt season will be more of a success.

Gobblernut

RE: fall Hunt

Postby Gobblernut » August 10th, 2008, 8:20 am

Bowman, Not sure where your from but here in Virginia we can take hens in the fall.. If in fact this is what you talking about. Longbeards can be tough in the fall not impossible but tough.. I'd personally rather leave the longbeards that way I can here them gobble in the spring...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

HILLBILLY

Postby HILLBILLY » August 10th, 2008, 2:50 pm

I NEVER DONE MUCH FALL TURKEY HUNTING ALTHOUGH IN THE PAST I WOULD TAKE A TURKEY OF OPPORTUNITY WHILE DEER HUNTING WHEN LEGAL. BUT SENSE I BEGAN SPRING GOBBLER HUNTING I TRY TO LEAVE THE TOMS ALONE.
MAKIN A LIVIN' SIX INCHES FROM HELL

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » August 11th, 2008, 2:33 am

As you can tell by my handle, I live in In.and the turks are thick as ticks in the southern part of the state, but in the north not so abundant. My fall hunting always consists of the spot and stalk to begin, and depending upon the outcome of that endeavor, will follow the next tactic, whatever that may be at the time. Primarily, turkey hunting and elk hunting are the same hunt, and whitetail too with a few exceptions. Just a small difference in the size of your gamebag! In the fall and winter the toms hang out together in their bachelor groups, and besides roosting ,they have only one thing on their minds. Eating and walking and eating and walking and so on and so on. They can be patterned, yet not with the same consistency as a deer, after all we are talkin bout turkeys here. As far as I can tell and from some study on the subject, the peckin order revolves around the food source. That is to say that the dominant gobbler or hen will eat best first. As far as a gobbler is concerned, in the fall or winter, a hen is just competition for the food source, and somtimes tolerated even less than a jake in the spring. Gobblers are a hard kill in the fall or winter, and since the jakes are hangin with em so are they,but I'll let a jake walk in the fall, quicker than in the spring. A Fall gobbler is a real trophy in my book, yet nothing compares to the bearded hen, as far as I'm concerned, spring or fall. The hens are pretty subseptible in the fall due to the nurturing nature of the female species. Once you find a flock of hens, the game is on. You either develop a flanking manuver to intercept or with a partner you might choose an envelope attack, coming from opposite directions screaming like the Marines landing at Iwo Jima, scattering the flock into the four winds. WOW! What fun for an adult human being with a firearm in his possesion. Immediatley, if possible , recognize which direction the majority of the hens flew, and proceed directly 25 to 50 yds. in that direction, and sit down and be quiet. You should be sitting on your butt within three minutes of the bust. Wait 5 minutes while listening for kee-kees and soft yelps, and clucks. After 5 minutes begin a soft series of kee-kees,kee-kee runs, soft yelps and even softer clucks, always being ever vigilante for the returnig calls as the flock re-assembles. Do not be over aggressive in the Fall, because as I do sometimes employ aggressive calling tactics in the spring, more directed at hens than at gobblers, I do in the Fall believe that soft is sufficent.
             Oh, by the way I have a really nice set of custom mouth calls specifically for the fall season and they can be reviewed at hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com. I hope there are some usefull gems that you might be able to use here,and if your out there monitoring turkey killer, shoot the ole hoosier hunter some feedback you young whippersnapper you!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS and STAY SAFE!
                                                                                                      L.K.LESLIE

Return to Fall Hunting