Preparing for the NH fall Turkey season

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
thunderchicken

Preparing for the NH fall Turkey season

Postby thunderchicken » June 4th, 2011, 2:56 am

Now that the spring season is over I am preparing for the fall archery and shotgun turkey seasons here in NH.

I am still taking the LONG rides to work checking for LEFT OVER longbeards for the upcoming season.

Also the bow will be coming out soon for some off season practice!!!!!

How does everyone else prepare for their fall turkey seasons?
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

ylpnfol

RE: Preparing for the NH fall Turkey season

Postby ylpnfol » June 4th, 2011, 9:31 am

in va. the deer bow season starts about a month before turkey season starts, so i can get a good idea where the birds are hanging out in the early season, and if i'm lucky, get some fresh venison, thats pretty much it, i hunt small parcels of land, so if the birds are around you can pattern them fairly easy, where they roost, feed etc, as the season progresses tho, they adjust to hunting pressure, and aren't, normally, as visible.....then you will have to cover more ground to look for fresh sign.....i think the season is going to be adjusted this year, so as to take more of the turkey season out of deer gun season, to keep deer hunters from taking so many birds, which is a good thing.....good luck and happy hunting
David

You never know, unless you go

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » June 4th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Bow season for deer and turkey start at the same time and end at the same time here in KY. We also have 2 shot gun seasons aswell. I usually feed deer during the summer on up into bow season until the acorns start falling good and where i feed deer theyre usually turkeys feeding there too. I will go deer hunting with my bow almost everyday when i can and if a big fat hen comes to the corn then shes dead meat! Now when shotgun season starts in the fall is usually when i stop putting out corn because the acorns start falling good, thats when i start usuing the usual fall turkey tactics. Other than that to get prepared, my trail camera will usually do most of my scouting for me.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 10th, 2011, 9:28 am

How does everyone else prepare for their fall turkey seasons?

I Watch the poults where they are, how big, how many. .. Look for the mast crops - acorns, berries, grass seeds, grapes etc.  This tells me where the turkeys will be and when in the fall.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

maineute

Postby maineute » July 27th, 2011, 8:44 am

I hunt just across the border, so I suspect they act the same. I have found that in the fall I find large groups of 20-25 birds. I try to figure out there pattern through asking people where they travel, trail camera pictures and then try to set up places to ambush them.

fallhnt

Postby fallhnt » August 4th, 2011, 2:38 am

I shoot my bow all the time so I'm good there but I do dust off the shotgun in the fall.I also add 1 more state to my spring bowhunt.In the fall I go to KS. NE. MO. and IL.I only gun hunt in the fall in MO and IL.Sept.15 is close!

Return to Fall Hunting