Calling while scouting...do you??

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
GearJammer

Calling while scouting...do you??

Postby GearJammer » August 14th, 2008, 1:38 pm

[:D] Hey guys and gals. I was listening to a couple buddies of mine discuss this issue with one of them saying it is ok to call while you are scouting and the other one said he disagrees with doing that.
  So what do ya'll think? I personally never thought it was unethical to do that, so what is the rub? Thanks for the input!! Good luck!
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

trkyklr

RE: Calling while scouting...do you??

Postby trkyklr » August 15th, 2008, 3:02 am

yo jammer, unethical ? calling while scouting has nothing to do with ethics in my opinion but i will say when im scouting i dont want any of my quary to know im any where around i want to ba as undetectable as i can so i would not recomend calling while scouting just listen to what mother nature has to offer on that particular day if you have to make some noise do it with a crow call but i dont think that will do you much good in the fall fortuneatly turkeys are very vocal in the fall especialy straight off the roost so get to your spot early & save the calling for the drive to & from your hunting land       

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » August 15th, 2008, 4:48 am

Good Call Killer!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, and STAY SAFE!
                                                            L.K.LESLIE

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » August 15th, 2008, 11:31 am

Ya...10-4 Turkey Killer. I didn't say I actually did call during scouting. I just never really thought it was unethical to do so. Thanks for the input! Good luck this fall!!
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » August 18th, 2008, 10:27 am

Yes its bettter to be still and not be seen...zipperman

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 23rd, 2008, 1:12 pm

Well I guess I'll step out of the crowd. I do some calling from time to time while scouting, both spring and fall. I don't see that it has had an adverse effect on my hunting in that same locale. I don't wear out calls while scouting though. I see it like this. Turkeys get separated from each other or from the flock every day.At some point after the separation that lone bird will hear another and probably attempt to join up with it. I suppose that they don't always make the union. For whatever reason they missed each other or one made up its mind not to call back any more. The end result is one bird heard another , but when it reached the spot where the call came from,,,no bird. I've seen it too many times . Wanting to see if there are any birds in the immediate area I make a call . A bird answers and starts in to where I am. As long as I can't see the bird I may continue to call,,, just like in a real set-up. Once I think he or she is about to come into view I'll stop calling and turn into a stump. After all what is it that spooks turkeys more than anything else? MOVEMENT! It has been my experience that unless there is movement to spook the bird , they just go on about there business,,,, and are soon out of sight .  Every spring I hunt the same public land where the birds hear , at times , several different hen calls at the same time. Locator calls are sounding off continually. Yet ! there are a lot birds that still come in to some good ol' fashion subtle , soft hen talk. The same principle applies with coyotes . Call today while scouting, return tomorrow and use a different call , different pitch, or cadence. Maybe I'm wrong , maybe I'm just selfish. This I do know , I'm 51 years old ; wished I'd started trk hntin' long ago! What I have learned and practiced for the past few years WORKS. I'll say it again, I'm still learning.Tell me what you think. I can take criticism.      later ''OLDSCHOOLTURKEYTACTICS''

CSHall

Postby CSHall » September 23rd, 2008, 3:41 pm

I personally don't call when scouting. I don't feel I need to I know the birds are there from the sign I see and I really want to find their natural travel routes and try and pattern that as much as I can so I have an idea of where to be and when on the days they are not responding well to calling. I feel if I call to them in scouting that that could possible change what they would naturally be doing out there that day and I wouldn't get the full picture as if I didn't call or disturb them. So I am with the under the radar crowd.
  Also I have heard of some state game wardens pressing charges against or threatening to press charges against those that have called to game before the season for "harassing game." So you may want to check if it is legal before you do it. I have no personal experience just heard it from Jim Clay when he gave a seminar in Pittsburgh, PA years back at the State convention.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 24th, 2008, 11:14 am

UNDER RADAR ,,,,, thats where i'll be,,,,,, thanks CSHALL for your insight . this ol' dog is still learning. thanks     'oldschoolturkeytactics'

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » September 24th, 2008, 1:56 pm

I'm not as lucky as some, I have a small area to hunt. I only have to move two maybe three times for any turkey in the area to hear me. Calling while scouting wouldn't do me any good. I certainly don't feel it would be unethical tho.

Return to Fall Hunting