1st timer tips?

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
codemodeus

1st timer tips?

Postby codemodeus » October 6th, 2008, 11:14 am

Recently just got into turkey hunting, have been practicing with my new 870 Express Super Mag, patterned it out, and feel comfortable out to 40yrds. Now i hear fall turkey hunting is very different than spring. So i was wondering any tips for a beginner? Some basic questions I have are:

Move alot or sit still?
Why types of calls to use? I hear kee kee is really the only good one to use during the fall
How often to call?
Any other advice for a first timer?

Thanks!

trkyklr

RE: 1st timer tips?

Postby trkyklr » October 6th, 2008, 12:47 pm

are you sure this is what you want to do ? after a few hunts your priorities in life will change i promise,you might want to quit while you still have your sanity !! no just kidding WELCOME to the world of the wild turkey.well lets see if i can help you out on your quest to be a turkey killer
1)when in doubt sit still
2)yes a kee kee is an excellent call in the fall.myself i cluck & purr with an occasional yelp (i also kee kee but thats not the only call for fall hunting)
3)call sparingly, let the birds tell you how often, if they are very vocal you can be very vocal if they are not you should not
4)NEVER GIVE UP!!! take your time dont rush into a situation or they will bust you
5)read as much as you can about wild turkeys T&TH mag, old books (the more you read the more you will learn)
the good thing here is that you are cutting your teeth in the fall it has been my experiance that birds will let you get away with alot more mistakes in the fall but most of all

HAVE FUN & BE CAREFUL!!!!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 6th, 2008, 3:41 pm

WELCOME CODEMODEUS,,,,,thats some handle,,, this is my second attempt at this reply. TRKYKLR, is right on the money with his advice. I would say you could try to get past FALL issues of T&TH. I haven't seen them all but wish I had . The 2001 fall issue is a must have issue. A friend gave me that issue years ago and I guard it and read it often . Again , welcome and stay with us . There are very interesting people on this site and from reading their posts and replies, they hold a wealth of turkey hunting knowledge. later                ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

codemodeus

Postby codemodeus » October 6th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Haha im very sure i wanna do this. Been deer hunting the last few years, and countless hours of watching turkeys come within 15yrds of me was amazing. Im a huge fan of the outdoors, so any excuse i can get to get out there is a + in my book! Thank you for the tips, ill be reviewing and stockpiling all knowledge i can for the upcoming season. I went out today after work to look for some birds, found some tracks and what appeared to be some scratchs, also setup some blinds, still have another 400ish acres to cover/ scout for possible spots. Good friends with a Children's Camp director so he lets me use the 800acres to hunt to my hearts content. Keep the tips coming!

Thanks

codemodeus

Postby codemodeus » October 7th, 2008, 10:52 am

Another question for you guys. Easiest call for a beginner to master? Currently have a glass pot call that i have been practicing with the last couple days. But wondering what is the easiest call to use? recommend getting a mouth call since i tend to hunt alone, or is it smart to call till turkey is say within 60-70yrds then stop and just concentrate on my gun.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 7th, 2008, 12:23 pm

To me the easiest calls ,or turkey vocabulary if you will allow , is made on a box or slate. But then too, I haven't been around the world nor handled all that many of either type. I have in the past tried to carry ALL my calls while hunting. The last few years I have lightened the load considerably. And I have grown to be very fond of a particular manufactured slate . With a carbon striker it'll sing like the sweetest hen of the flock. With a hardwood striker it'll make some good gobbler talk. I experiment a lot with all my calls. But once the wood or slate has got a bird committed and it is making tracks in my direction, I'll go to the mouth call. The more real turkeys you can listen to , combined with daily practice , no matter which call you are using, or all of them , will make you a better caller . End result will be you in the woods and working a bird and you'll be able to make any turkey sound ,at any given moment , in any situation. Can I do that ? NO but I have only been using mouth calls for 28 years .For me the hard part was finding a particular mouth call that fit me and made a lot of noise with little effort. I have gone through dozens. They are my favorite and I have 3 in my pocket every day of the year.Seems like you are doing the right thing. SCOUTING , SCOUTING, SCOUTING, it's a must . I ain't the first to say it,''woodsmanship has killed more birds than world championship calling''            Keep up the good work.  later ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » October 8th, 2008, 1:44 am

friction calls are by far the easiest to learn in my opinion,but a diaghram is much more fun i'm kind of like mark in that i keep @least one mouth call in my pocket 365,& trust me it gets a work out everyday ,right now ive been toting the ol "gobstopper" from HOOSIERHUNTERCUSTOMCALLS, if you havent checked out the website then you need to, the calls are top of the line.   the key to any call is kind of like mark said listen to real turkeys whenever possible & practice,practice,practice, good luck!!

jdeitchler

Postby jdeitchler » November 6th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Can you take the same approach in the fall as you do in the spring for times of day to hunt?  I always like going early in the morning in the spring and experiencing the birds coming down out of the roost.  It will be colder now in the morning and I am not sure if I want to be out as early.

Second, decoy or no decoys in the fall?  If decoys, do you put everything out there?

Finally, regarding the discussion of calling, if change the vocabulary of your calls in the fall, will you "call a bird in" like you do in the spring?  That is, will the toms be as curiuos and come to a call on the edge of the woods?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 7th, 2008, 2:59 am

in the fall you hunt them when you find them,early morning is best for locating them because thats when they are most vocal, as soon as they wake up, as far as calling yeah you can call them in but not like in the spring call sparingly stick to clucks,purrs,cackles, kee kees & lost yelps
hope this helps you out a little good luck this winter

Return to Fall Hunting