fall plans

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
mark hay

RE: fall plans

Postby mark hay » June 17th, 2009, 1:28 pm

ORIGINAL: nhtrkybstr

When it comes to hunting fall birds, I'm greener than the fields in May in NH!

I have to confess, I don't have a clue how to hunt them very well in the fall. I want to, I just don't know the best way to go about it!

Does anyone when first starting out ?   Then before too long you can't make up your mind which you like best ,,,,spring or fall.
good luck

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 17th, 2009, 1:39 pm

,,,so i'm gonna have to travel to another state somewhere,,,

,,,I would like to hit Ohio hint hint Mark.

WE NEED TO TALK BOYS.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » June 18th, 2009, 2:29 am

when...where...what time..[:D][;)]

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 18th, 2009, 7:03 am

Fall is my favorite time of year, except of course for spring and summer. Doris and I have enjoyed hunting together each fall for the last several years. I hope we have more of those we can enjoy.

We plan to hunt in Illinois and if possible, we'll go to Kentucky. I expect that we'll want to try the new 20 gauge loads from Federal this year.

Plans are always so tough for us to make. It seems that many times something gets in the way.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 18th, 2009, 10:54 am

hope it all comes together for ya, allabout!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 18th, 2009, 11:32 am

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

when...where...what time..[:D][;)]

ohio season runs Oct. 10 thru Nov. 29,,,1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset. limit is ONE bird during fall season ,,,either sex,,,shotguns and archery only.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 18th, 2009, 11:43 am

non-resident liscense are $125.00
fall turkey permit is $24.00
both can be purchased on line @ www.wildohio.com

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 20th, 2009, 1:58 am

I guess my plan is to sit back and read about you guys Fall hunts.

We don't have a Fall season in GA but it's interesting to hear about how you go about it.  I can tell it seems to require somewhat of a different approach.

I'll learn something.  

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 20th, 2009, 4:04 am

From what I hear it is a whole different hunt!

You can bet that I will be posting here on a regular basis with plans and updates on hunts!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 20th, 2009, 4:34 am

It is different ,Yet similar . The possibilty of going days without hearing a vocal bird , just like in the spring. But when they are vocal it is sometimes long , involving several birds since they are in flocks , and can be VERY loud. Usually the hunter gets to hear or maybe even witness some fights or at least a lot of fightin' purrs . Last year I frequented a soybean field where a group of broodless hens would feed every morning . They were a grumpy bunch for sure . They couldn't go an hour without getting into a scrap . Once I got to hear a vocal bunch of either jakes or old toms get cranked up on the roost . I heard them all pitch out and get established on the ground . Lots of loud coarse clucks . Fifteen minutes later they could be heard over 100 yards down the ridge . Aggressive purring and wingslapping for nearly 5 minutes .
 Typically , on those clear still mornings they'll make some racket in the trees before fly down . The hens with broods will often be silent as they amble around the ridges feeding . But those ol' girls without children seem to be ready and willing to run to you for a fight . Some of the loudest yelping I ever heard from a real hen was in the fall as she ran high speed to get to me , where I was spittin' out more cussin than she was . It is a memorable hunt . Nine mature hens running full tilt from over 100 yards . They put on the brakes at 9 steps from the muzzle , well all did except the cussin' leader . She ran right by me . I had been working on a longbeard that had gone silent when the hen started calling to me. After they ran the distance and 8 of them stopped in front of me , with the boss hen going right by me , I have often wondered if I didn't actually goof up by not keeping eye contact with the boss hen . That old longbeard just may have been sneaking in the back door and the hen went straight to him . At any rate I took my only hen to date ,,,,,she was sporting an 8 inch beard .

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting