Turkey dogs- Pa

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
MzlHunter

Turkey dogs- Pa

Postby MzlHunter » July 21st, 2009, 12:50 am

I'm plannning on getting a dog for turkey hunting in the future. Right now I am researching and trying to soak up as much info as possible on the subject. I was wondering if anyone knows of a dedicated turkey dogger in the PA or Ny area that would be willing to let me tag along on a hunt this fall so I could see how it's done.

Dcoleinpa

RE: Turkey dogs- Pa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 21st, 2009, 3:09 am

same here!

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » July 21st, 2009, 3:18 am

Turkey Trot Acreas in Candor NY uses the John Byrne Turkey Dogs but it is a pay to hunt.  They are on the net if you want more info
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » July 21st, 2009, 3:46 am

My advice would be to get on the turkeydog.org web site and look around.You could possibly pose your question in the classified section and come up with something.Good luck. Their are several good doggers in the states you mentioned so you may just get lucky.I have not spoken with alot of doggers but the ones I have seem very willing to share info and helpful tips.
canecreekcalls.com

MzlHunter

Postby MzlHunter » July 21st, 2009, 4:24 am

Pete puts on a heck of a hunt but I'd just like to tag along for the expirience.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 21st, 2009, 5:03 am

try turkeydoghunter....he visits this site....& lives in NY

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » July 21st, 2009, 3:52 pm

Is there a special breed of dogs that you use for turkey hunting or can you just use regular hunting dogs.

Can you use a basset hound?
Alex

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » July 21st, 2009, 4:37 pm

Alex, the best thing about turkey dog hunting is that about any type of dog can be used.I think most folks will agree that there should be some type of a bird dog in its ancestory but other then that it's pretty much wide open.Generally your trailing hounds such as a bassett bark while trailing and this is not the best scenerio with turkeys as you want the dog to rush and surprise the flock and then bark.All of that being said I believe I seen where CB on the run that frequents this forum had success with a beagle in the past so nothing is cut and dried with these dogs.Check the turkeydog.org web site and scroll to the bottom of the page,click on the different dog names and you'll see the many variaties of dogs used.
canecreekcalls.com

AWTHDA

Postby AWTHDA » July 23rd, 2009, 4:21 am

thundrchikin explained it very well. I've seen beagles run fast enough on rabbits to flush a turkey, so if a basset moves that fast, he could too. Every dog (even from the same litter) will have their own personality and a different hunting style. The fun is getting out there and enjoying turkey hunting with YOUR dog. The old time traditional turkey dog was a big running long-legged pointer/setter - they needed to cover a lot of territory with their long legs in the mountains. And when they flushed turkeys, the turkeys will likely sail off down the mountain a mile away, with the dog following. Around most of (flat) Wisconsin a different dog with shorter legs will do fine. If your dog will locate and scatter birds, then sit quietly with you until you shoot, you have as bonafide a turkey dog as any. "It's not the breed of dog that makes a turkey dog - it's the amount of time the owner spends with the dog." http://trkyhntr.home.att.net/stories.html

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » July 23rd, 2009, 7:44 am

My 1st male was one of a kind. Very quick on trailing. Great pheasant dog, very good turkey dog but only fair on rabbits until old age slowed him down. RIP Lost him last fall.
It's not the breed I would choose for a dedicated turkey dog but a beagle can be taught to run almost anything.

Next

Return to Fall Hunting