Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
mark hay

RE: let the big boys walk

Postby mark hay » July 23rd, 2009, 12:09 pm

And welcome to the forum ,TurkeyJohn.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 23rd, 2009, 3:49 pm

ken ...youve done lost your mind....i take NO prisoners.......they all good[:D]here is an old hen tasty was plucked and roasted to a golden brown with bread stuffing , gravey and dont forget cranberry sauce....yummy

Break em at Night...Back at light

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 23rd, 2009, 5:04 pm

..i look at it like you do now,ronny joe.....i'm not prejudice....i shoot'em all...but yeah...back in the day..i'de let them walk....for some strange reason....i figured i'de have more birds gobblin in the spring

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 24th, 2009, 12:04 pm

I'm taking a peek at this at 5:00 in the afternoon reading turkeydogs turkey recipe and getting hungry. I think it was the key words, roasted to golden brown, bread stuffing & gravy that did it.

I never used to think anything about not being able to hunt turkeys in the Fall because we don't have a season here. Listening to you guys discuss this  is creating problems for me beciuse now I realize I'm missing something.

Interesting to hear the methods  you guys use etc 
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 24th, 2009, 2:16 pm

Hey Mr.Bobby,,,You're right ,,,it is interesting . It took me a long time to even begin to figure out how to begin fall hunting ,,,and I still ain't caught up with a whole bunch of these fellers .
 The first few years I just wandered around the woods ,,,HOPING . I would read all I could get a hold of on the subject of fall hunting . Where I messed up was by not going to the library ,,,,,DUH![:@]
 As you have probably seen in some of my previous posts , it was not until I learned the differences in pitch and rhythm of the gobbler when compared to hens and young birds , that things made a big turn toward success.
 I enjoy spring as much as anyone, but the more fall hunting I get to do , the more I prefer it over spring .
 I really feel for you fellers and ladies that live in places that do not have a fall season . On the other hand , we can only take one bird in the fall , so I do not get in a hurry . I'd rather  hunt all season and not kill a bird , than take one on opening day or the first week and not be able to go again while season was still open .
 But it is coming and I been ready for a while . But this summer ''WAITING'', has not been near as bad as previous years when I did not belong to this forum and had no one to talk turkey with .
 For me it's about foolin' ol' tom.

''I can't get enough of workin' ol' tom,
 to pull the trigger brings an end to the game ''[;)]

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 26th, 2009, 7:57 am

hay bobby i hope you get to go fall hunting some day....the key to fall hunting is to break (scatter the flock) once broke up they try to regroup.....by mimicing the birds a hunter can call in the birds ..... i employ my dogs scatter the turkeys they do this better than i can........i have called in single birds even flocks of birds...that were not scattered ....just by mimicing them......[;)]
Break em at Night...Back at light

NDalasio

Postby NDalasio » August 23rd, 2009, 3:27 am

I hunt for food, so I'll shoot whatever shows up.
Except a poult.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 23rd, 2009, 5:56 am

Hey ND, welcome to the forum.
We only get one fall tag here in Ohio. And there are other things like grouse , squirrel and doves we can take while turkey hunting . I personally need lots of time in the turkey woods ,,,,,,,just for the SPORT .
I'll play with the hens and young ,,,,,,,,,,,,,target the longbeards .

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting