let the big boys walk

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Turkeybuster

RE: let the big boys walk

Postby Turkeybuster » June 2nd, 2009, 4:27 pm

I would sooner hunt gobblers in the fall if you can find one who wants to play the game but then again I love to hear the chatter of a busted flock of young birds. So since I have this mindset I would go with the first opportunity that presents itself. I also have to agree on the equiptment needed  a good mouth call a box or slate a pair of gloves and a hand full of shells is all I carry in the fall.

Turkeybuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 18th, 2009, 2:54 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

i see this thread has made it back to the top...& in the past..yes i used to pass up every long beard/jake that i saw in the fall...now if you will go back to the pics of last fall you will see that my opinion has changed...now i shoot them as they come...be it hen or gobbler...allot of my tactics have changed in the last little bit...i no longer use dekes(& never will again) & i no longer pass gobs in the fall (i never will again)...& you couldn't pay me to sit in another blind in this lifetime....im sure more & more of my tactics will change as life goes on....i'm even pulling a hay & lookin for some non camo drab to hunt in this coming fall...seems traditional tactics are for me...[:)]

I found and bought the bottom half of my non-camo hunting clothes today . Carhartt,,,,found 'em marked down to $21-. Also found the shirt I want to pick up as soon as possible . Company by the name of ''OUTBACK'',,,it's drab also . It has a very unique double layer of material  in the shoulder area and on the front that outer piece is also the button down pocket flap, which will allow me to carry a boxcall , strikers , wingbone etc. in the breast pockets and still be able to button it closed ,,,perty neat I must say .
 Found a cap to go with the new DUDS in a local grocery store.

Just so I won't be accused of Hijackin',,,,,,I'll answer the question again. NO ! I'll not let the big boys walk,,,,,,,that is of course only if I have called him in .

If I ain't called him in ,,,,,he WILL walk away .

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 18th, 2009, 3:08 pm

im lookin to get some fall clothes as well mark  and no i wouldnt pass a tom in the fall

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 18th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Well mine ain't gonna be just for fall,,,,I'm weaning myself of camo . Uh,,,mostly ,,,I ain't figured out how to replace the face net ,,,,not without going to some dense material , which would be ok in cold weather ,,,but spring in Ohio can be a mite too hot for anything heavier than a net .

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » July 18th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Since my last post on the subject, our Fall (winter) season has been done away with by the N.C. Wildlife Commission.  Even though I wanted to hunt, now I can't.  I intend to go sit & listen (and call some) at one of the local State Parks.  It will be good calling practice and (hopefully) give me some more experience around turkeys.

Good luck to all who get to hunt this Fall.  I expect to see pictures of some nice birds.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

AWTHDA

Postby AWTHDA » July 19th, 2009, 5:40 am

I prefer a big gobbler stalking his way towards me in the fall, over a lovesick one strutting in the spring. In the fall, the longbeards are in much better condition, they have all their feathers, no worn off breasts from fighting and breeding, or wingtips from dragging on the ground. I got a beautiful 2 y.o. tom last fall and every iridescent feather was perfect. When I get a fall 3 y.o. I'll get him mounted in that sneaking in position they so often do in the fall. And I'll shoot a young bird over a hen because they taste better, and the experienced adult hen is more capable of successfully raising a brood next spring.
Cut N Run, I like your idea of sitting and listening, take your dog and your camera along, can't be nothing illegal about that, eh? There's a lot of people upset about NC closing the fall & winter seasons, see what Russ has to say on http://trkyhntr.home.att.net/legislation.html Let him or I know you'll help get it restored and we can get it done. All it takes is enough interested hunters to get it corrected like it should be. Jon

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 19th, 2009, 7:12 am

In the words of Elmer Fud, "shhhhh I'm Wabbit (insert Turkey here) Hunting" all who are identified as such are in jeopardy.

My preference would be in order:

Jake and a half (last springs jake) -They usually run around 16 -17 lbs and are good eating

Old longbeard - for the challenge

Male poult - The biggest of the young birds, so more meat and absolutely the finest eating, I am close to preferring these

young hen poult - smaller but yummy

Old Hen - absolutely the worse turkey I have ever eaten and better left as experienced brooders

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 19th, 2009, 1:18 pm

ORIGINAL: AWTHDA

I prefer a big gobbler stalking his way towards me in the fall, over a lovesick one strutting in the spring. In the fall, the longbeards are in much better condition, they have all their feathers, no worn off breasts from fighting and breeding, or wingtips from dragging on the ground. I got a beautiful 2 y.o. tom last fall and every iridescent feather was perfect.

OH YEAH[:D][:D]YOU'RE SINGIN' MY FAVORITE SONG ,FELLER~!!!

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » July 23rd, 2009, 10:56 am

Here in Ontario, We've only had last years fall season for the first time.  As luck would have it, my main spot was torn up by gas line maintenace workers so I didn't even see a turkey, let alone argue with myself over whether I'd take a hen or a tom.  I'm thinking, given the opportunity, I'd take whatever legal bird presented themself first.  I don see the ins and outs of the comments, but for my first fall turkey, I'm not picky..
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 23rd, 2009, 12:06 pm

My very first turkey kill was a fall jake . No calling . On my way into the area and a herd of juveniles were coming right toward me . Thet got to about 50 yards and decided they didn't like my hat so they turned around and began feeding away . Lots of curves in that old tractor path allowed me to get close enough for the shot . Bang first tukey!
 Not very exciting when compared to calling one or a whole tribe into the gun . Actually shameful when compared to calling in an old longbeard ,,,in the fall .

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting