all things kee kee

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Steve_In

RE: all things kee kee

Postby Steve_In » June 3rd, 2009, 6:20 pm

ive heard that guys can kee kee on a slate id like to see that.

For me the kee kee on a pot call works best with a pot with a rim.  Put the striker against the rim and push it forward a little.  The pots seem to have a higher pitch right out near the edge.  You want to be careful with the pressure on the striker or it will turn into a putt.  I push about a 1/4 of an inch, stop and repeat 2 or 3 times.  Run it into a yelp on the last stroke and back to home.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

StevePA

Postby StevePA » June 4th, 2009, 7:54 am

A ghost cut(true name is kill'r cut.. btw) mouth call will never be beat for the kee kee or kee kee run...
turkeykiller

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 4th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Glad you finally put a name on that call btw. got mine today thanks killer.
Turkeybuster

StevePA

Postby StevePA » June 4th, 2009, 3:38 pm

The cut was invented by a callmaker in NW Pa years ago...early 90's...He named the cut kill'r cut because of his call company name....
turkeykiller

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 4th, 2009, 4:03 pm

So what you guys are saying is a double reed works best for kee kees?

StevePA

Postby StevePA » June 4th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Im not...3 reed by far because it has the backbone to withstand over blowing by an avg. caller plus it allows the caller to do clucks and cutts...even flydown cackles with practice....Preston Pittman was the first to market the "ghost cut" on a big scale even though he wasnt the one who invented the cut...He sold his as a 2.5 reed caller(still does I think)..the original design of the call was 3 reeds of .003 latex...
turkeykiller

StevePA

Postby StevePA » June 4th, 2009, 5:10 pm

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

My version is called...XT KEE...I used to build it on a heavier scale than what Im selling now...I actually liked that model better and really should sell it again...It was better IMO than what Im making now....
turkeykiller

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 5th, 2009, 2:01 am

Steve's calls are really good. I am hook on his mouth calls.
I would also include in here that a tube call can make the kee kee as well. It takes a little practice but works.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 7th, 2009, 4:25 pm

ORIGINAL: StevePA

My version is called...XT KEE...I used to build it on a heavier scale than what Im selling now...I actually liked that model better and really should sell it again...It was better IMO than what Im making now....

If you decide to make up some of the heavier calls put me down for three or four I assume the kee kee is about the same but the break into the yelp would have more rasp and a more mature hen yelp.
Also I think you would have a louder cut and cluck. I assume they may be a little harder to blow but I am a fan of the stiffer latex. Probably sounds more like a young gobbler yelp and kee kee?
Turkeybuster

StevePA

Postby StevePA » June 8th, 2009, 5:02 am

ORIGINAL: StevePA

If you decide to make up some of the heavier calls put me down for three or four I assume the kee kee is about the same but the break into the yelp would have more rasp and a more mature hen yelp.
Also I think you would have a louder cut and cluck. I assume they may be a little harder to blow but I am a fan of the stiffer latex. Probably sounds more like a young gobbler yelp and kee kee?

The sound is more "stout"..including the kee...I went to the thinner version for the general public and it has been well recieved...BUT...the original way I was making them was better(if you were above avg. on a mouth call that is) and I was the ONLY one making them that way...3 totally different pieces of material...
turkeykiller

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting