all things kee kee

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
wisturkeyhunter

all things kee kee

Postby wisturkeyhunter » June 3rd, 2009, 7:29 am

Thought I would make a post dedicated to the kee kee and kee kee run. Post any questions or thoughts about the kee kee here.
I'll start us out
What calls are capable of making a good kee kee?
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

trkyklr

RE: all things kee kee

Postby trkyklr » June 3rd, 2009, 7:35 am

in my opinion..a diaghram & a yelper style call (wingbone/trumpet) are the kings of the kee.....a kee kee whistle also does a descent job...without the run

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 3rd, 2009, 11:22 am

I'll have to go right along with TRKYKLR on the diaphram and suction calls . I haven't seen the whistle he mentioned .
But I can say from experience that if all else fails for you , the H.S.STRUT HAWK WHISTLE  is as simple a call to use . Instead of the quick blast of air that makes the hawks whistle , blow very , very gently . I also stick my index finger into the call from the front and close off MOST of the opening . Only trouble with this call is it won't make the KEE KEE RUN . But I'd bet some of you could have the mouthcall in and ready for that .
 I've used the Primos Limb Hanger , Diamond yelper , and Double Howler coyote diaphrams . But these I could not make the soft kee kee with . The wingbone and the hawk whistle can be run ever so softly .
 I've told this before ,,,,I was in the vicinity of a brood flock last fall , just prior to season . They were  scattered around raking the woods at somewhere between 60 and 100 yards . I was dressed for squirrel hunting . Now I suppose that most everyone can make that faint whistle where you use the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth and blow air gently . Also these birds were making quite a bit of racket in the leaves and sparring and some calling . I made the faintest and most pathetic KEE KEE with that faint whistle . If you had been with me and standing 30 yards away I doubt you could have heard it . In less than a minute I had a good number of jakes inside 20 yards and stretching their necks trying to see into the weeds where I was sitting on the ground . I didn't offer any more calls and they all ran back to the flock . Their hearing is phenominal to say the least.
There is more than one way to skin a cat ,,,,,,,,,,,ain't there ?

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 3rd, 2009, 11:34 am

ok, guys what is the difference between the KEE KEE and THE RUN?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 3rd, 2009, 11:51 am

KEE KEE = kee kee,,,,,,,,,,,,,kee kee kee kee ,,,,,,,,,,kee kee kee kee
 where there are commas , this is a pause of a few seconds to possibly several minutes.

KEE KEE RUN = kee kee yelp yelp yelp
                    kee kee kee kee yelp yelp yelp

KEE KEE RUN GOBBLE= kee kee kee yelp yelp yelp gobloblobloble

pucker up and whistle it yourself .

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » June 3rd, 2009, 11:59 am

I agree with Mark, the Primos Limbhanger plus I use the Kee Kee Diaphram from River Valley, both double reeds
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » June 3rd, 2009, 12:01 pm

ive been trying to learn to kee kee run on a wingbone im having a hardtime. ive heard that guys can kee kee on a slate id like to see that. can any of you guys do it on a box?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 3rd, 2009, 1:27 pm

I suppose that we are all alike in the fact that no matter which call we are using , we want to become good and be able to pick it up and make any call on command,,,,without a warm up session .
 I too am trying to improve on the wingbone ,Dcole , and at the rate of my progression so far , I might be able to wear it around my neck properly by fall ,,,,maybe.

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » June 3rd, 2009, 1:47 pm

id have to say one of the most attractive things about turkey hutning is that there is so many diffrent things learn.  i should be buying my first trumpet this week or next i hope.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 3rd, 2009, 1:59 pm

I can't afford one so I'll have to work with what I have , and can make . Just finished gluing some river cane together a little while ago . I attached an all brass 12 ga. shell on the end . Should know if it it'll talk turkey in the morning.

Good luck on the trumpet and the wingbone Dcoleinpa.

Next

Return to Fall Hunting