Whiffed on my 1st try

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

Whiffed on my 1st try

Postby eggshell » October 1st, 2009, 6:02 pm

I have never attempted taking a turkey with a bow, but decided to try the Kentucky crossbow season today( hey you get two archery tags  and two gun tags when you purchase your fall tag, so why not try and use it all). Wouldn't you know I get a shot at a big ole long beard with a horse tail hanging out of his chest and whiffed on the shot. I had practiced and was confident at 30 yards, but thought this shot was probably 35 to 40, so I set my bow up a notch. He had spooked just a bit and turned to walk away, but is was clean so I decided to go for the shot. Turns out it was right on 30 yards so I whizzed it high right by his ear, AAArrrgggg!

Just needed some crying time, thanks for letting me unload.

mark hay

RE: Whiffed on my 1st try

Postby mark hay » October 1st, 2009, 10:36 pm

a miss is far better than WAITIN' ON SEASON!

You'll get 'em Eggshell.

Best wishes to ya.

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » October 2nd, 2009, 1:59 am

I hear ya egg!

Best of luck on your next one. You will get one, I can feel it!
Just like Mark said, it's better to miss than be waiting at home for the season to start!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » October 2nd, 2009, 5:30 am

We are still around 190 days until we get the chance to turkey hunt.
Better luck on your next trip out.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » October 2nd, 2009, 7:51 am

That will get your heart pumping!!!  PUTT PUTT PUTT  At $60 for their license it almost doesn't pay to hunt here in Indiana.  Get back after them 
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 2nd, 2009, 12:27 pm

Steve_IN,

The $60.00 bucks is just the non-resident turkey tag, the annual license is $130.00. I have been going to Ky for 25+ years and have also grouse hunted, shot doves and mostly turkey hunt. They used to sale a firearms only tag for $30.00 then got smart and just started selling the turkey tag 2 years ago for double the price and including the archery tag (which I suspect they sold few of). I go down in the spring every year and my NR annual and my 2 bird spring tag comes to $190.00, then I pick up the fall tag for $60.00 ($250.00 total). I have friends that have put me up for years so I haven't  spend a lot on lodging, but I started renting a cabin 2 years ago for multiple day trips. It's a 2 1/2 hr drive from my Ohio home, so I do several one day hunts a year (like yesterday). It would be interesting to compare some out of state hunting cost again, I'm sure it's been discussed before. In the years I have been going tag cost have more than doubled, but then again we have done the same thing here in Ohio. Everyone wants that out of state dollar.

As for the hunt, I looked at it as just a fun thing to try, since I had the tag. Those birds will pay dearly come gun season in Ky. (October 24th) for their insolence. I plan to try and run down again one day next week and try again. I never realized just how many things I have to deal with getting a shot with an arrow. We actually had at least 6 birds that would have bought the farm with shotguns, but unclear shooting lanes kept us from turning lose an arrow.  Maybe I should clarify for some who don't know me, that may read this post; this isn't my first rodeo, I've turkey hunted 38 years in 6 states and lost count on birds I've bagged. This is just something I never tried before and now I know why....dude it's a lot harder, especially in the woods! I can see why most of the turkey bow kills you see on the TV are in open fields.

Mark Hay,
Just one week and the Ohio birds are taking the heat, brother! I hope that big ole long beard comes your way.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 2nd, 2009, 12:55 pm

I hear ya Dana. I'll be out before first light tomorrow to get deep into the hunting area . It's supposed to be a mite windy but I'm going anyway.

38 years ,,,,,my first time was 37 years ago ,,,ashamed I didn't stick with it instead of waiting till I was 40 to really get busy.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » October 3rd, 2009, 6:54 am

Thanks for the info.  Am I right in that you buy a Ky hunting lic and turkey tags?  In Indiana we just buy tags.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 3rd, 2009, 7:34 am

yes Steve, you buy an annual license then tags in addition to it, such as deer turkey, ect.

Return to Fall Hunting