Ahhhhhhhh Fall!!!!!!

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
nhtrkybstr

Ahhhhhhhh Fall!!!!!!

Postby nhtrkybstr » September 22nd, 2009, 11:44 pm

All right you fall turkey chasers!

Can you get a turkey to give up it's location with locator calls forcing it to shock gobble in the fall?
No one has ever commented on this, so I thought I would throw it out there.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Steve_In

RE: Ahhhhhhhh Fall!!!!!!

Postby Steve_In » September 23rd, 2009, 3:43 am

I heard them gobble to slug guns during deer season.  This was on a military area and I would guess they did not have much contact with humans.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 23rd, 2009, 11:56 am

I have heard them gobble in the fall , a few times , but I didn't hear anything prior to the gobble to suggest that the bird SHOCK gobbled . I recall months ago when Steve In told the same incounter as he has just relayed again , and recall that was the first time I had ever heard of Fall Shock Gobbles .
If Steve says it's so I believe him .

I know young jakes can be PROVOKED into gobbling at times with a kee kee gobble or kee kee run gobble  . I have read of it and have done it myself. Absolutely hilarious to watch juveniles mount an offensive against their flockmates.[:D][:D]
  I  tend to think that mature gobblers would OCCASIONALLY gobble if the hunter were to put on a mock fight and in all the wing slappin' and aggressive purrin' throw out a short mature gobble. But if you try this alone you may not hear the real bird gobble because of all the racket you're making.
 I know from experience that if the birds are on the ground and you are not too far away , a good gobbler cluck will get a real gobbler cluck in return,,,,,,,GAME ON!
 There is no doubt several ways and methods of getting their attention . Just a gobble, on a particular bird, may be all it takes to get a responce and pull him in . Part of the fun for me is to just ease around cold calling. Most of which is either a cluck , and the cutting of a gobbler . Two and three note gobbler yelps every 100 - 200 yards in my movement, with a cluck in between , to give the impression of a wandering tom looking for like company. They like the company ,,,,,I just ain't sure if it is mostly friendly or looking for a scrap.
17 more days and I hope to have story to tell.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » September 24th, 2009, 3:18 pm

i do it all time....i like to tree call ...in the morninsg turkeys are very vocal before fly down....and at roost time .....as it gets lighter i turn up the calling...remember in the FALL...turkeys are after food ...hunt the food sources....i feel you hear more turkey talk in the fall than spring besides gobbling  and an ocasional hen...spring birds are quite...in the fall you hear it all...its a great time to hear the real deal....ps it helps to have a great dog or two...lol

Break em at Night...Back at light

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 24th, 2009, 4:30 pm

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!
JON [;)]
Turkeybuster

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » September 24th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Well boys and girls, I'm headed out tommorow for a fall turkey!
I'm forgoing deer for the day, and I'm headed to the honey hole to see what's happening!
I'm gonna take my son's push call as well as some other calls as well. The push call is great because I can operate it one-handed.
I can't get down into the woods off the field due to walking right under potential roost trees, so I'm gonna hit the finger of trees where I harvested my big guy this spring.
Even if I don't get a bird, I'm in hopes to at least hear all those fall vocalizations everyone is talking about!
I hope to have a good story for sunday morning!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 25th, 2009, 2:53 am

Good Luck with those birds tomorrow and keep us posted.
Jon [:)]
Turkeybuster

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 25th, 2009, 2:59 am

hey nhtrkybstr

Don't get too caught up in avoiding the roost area. Get that spring mentality outta your head that a bird busted off the roost is lost. It can actually work in your favor, but if you spook one scatter them all  in as many directions as possible. My first attempt would be to get close as possible without spooking and try to get the flock to come my way, but if they fly down and head away from you it will be real hard to get them to back up. In that case you have two choices: 1) circle ahead or 3.) turn on commando mode and sneek as close as possible and then bust them. One note, you won't get a bust if you start your rush too far, they'll just run. I'd say if you can't get 60 yards don't try, circling would be better. Actually if the first birds that pitch down go straight away from you, I'd rush them while they are some still in the trees for a scatter. Just some thoughts on how I hunt.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » September 28th, 2009, 5:23 pm

[:D]heres a tip for you poor doggless graybeards...if you scatter a flock ...on foot dont forget to yell and maybe shoot safly in the air it helps scatter them better if you can get close enough...also if you see one bird go off by it self set up for that one ..instead the 3 or four that went the other way ...i feel that lone bird will be easy to call good luck....ps ill be hunting this thursday yahooooooooooowa
Break em at Night...Back at light

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 28th, 2009, 5:51 pm

Good Luck TDH keep those puppies out of the copperheads.
Jon [;)]
Turkeybuster

Next

Return to Fall Hunting