Nasty Huntin

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
WillowRidgeCalls

Nasty Huntin

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 10th, 2009, 9:18 am

I hit the woods at 6:00 this morning, temp was 27 then the wind pick up. Shortly after daylight it started sleeting then turned to snow, couldn't keep the slush off the calls enough to play. Switch to mouth calls but still didn't see anything. Stayed to 8;00 then headed out, saw 2 birds in the field at the other end but couldn't tell what they were. Just plain nasty out there. [:@]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dcoleinpa

RE: Nasty Huntin

Postby Dcoleinpa » October 10th, 2009, 10:10 am

dang man dang

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 10th, 2009, 3:33 pm

It wasn't too bad here this morning. Mid 40s and mist with a pretty good breeze . I think the birds were well soaked after two days of heavy rain . They didn't want to play .
This afternoon I hunted alone at the public land . On my way in I stopped at a little knoll in the middle of the big cedar thicket to catch my breath and listen . By this time the wind had stopped and the sun was out . I hadn't stood there more than two minutes when I heard a stick break off to my left . I slowly turned my head to see a 1 1/2 yr jake walking right toward me at about 25 yards . More movement farther back behind him and there was another young gobbler . I let them pass without spooking them and allowed them to get out of sight and I went on up the hill to get above them and attempt to call them in . Never seen nor heard from them .
On my way out , going by the same deer trail , just before I reached the edge of the cedars I see a turkey . But it saw me first . Turns out there were three young gobblers there . I let them go unscathed .

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 11th, 2009, 8:01 am

This morning was 23 degrees, colder than you know whhat but the birds were out moving good. Problem was they were on the other side the fence where I can't hunt. Had 2 big Toms at 20yds but they wouldn't cross over [:@]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » October 11th, 2009, 10:07 am

Gonna be a nasty rainy day when I finally pick up my shotgun as well Scott.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » October 12th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Scott,

I know how you feel! I have to deal with rain and snow today. No wind, but a cold rain/snow mix.
Not sure what we'll see, but we only have a 5 day shotgun season, so I have to get out there when I can!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Return to Fall Hunting