WhooHoooBBD(thx God 4 friends)

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

WhooHoooBBD(thx God 4 friends)

Postby eggshell » October 14th, 2009, 11:45 am

Hey hey Hey...guess what? The old cripple killed a big ole long beard today!!

My best hunting bud called and asked if I was interested and able to take a ride. I have been walking some and rode a fair amount and feeling way better than I expected. He said we could go look at some fields to see if we could see any turkeys out. I said heck I'm taking a gun if we're doing that. As we rode by a farm I hunt on the land owner was just pulling out and I told Joe I wanted to stop and thank him for all his kindness, since I got hurt. Low and behold he told us to drive up into his pastures they were birds coming out. Soon as we got into the field there was a flock of poults and hens. Joe turned his Mt curr lose and they run from him and didn't get a good bust. He still took me to a log pile and let me out and I found a log to sit on. Those birds never called. Then we drove to the upper pasture and saw more birds, this time the dog got a bust, again Joe dumped me out and drove back out of sight and I found a seat and waited. Finally birds called and here came two young birds, but the old hen started calling and they left before I could get a shot. The we drove over a bank and saw two long beards in the field, but they spooked and we just went on. after that we went back to where we saw the first flock and I rolled down the window to hear gobbler yelps. Joe let me out by the same log and drove the truck out of sight. I called and they answered but would not come out into the field. Finally I whistled for Joe(I was getting tired). He drove up and I was telling him that the birds were just about 75 yards in front of me but wouldn't come. He suggested he take his dog, bear, and see if they could bust them, which usually is fruitless with old birds, and I said hey won't hurt. So I sit back on my log and Bear and Joe make a loop up into the woods. In a little bit I hear putting and wings beating and a bird sails down the hill and lands 125 yards in front of me. I sit tight and  and cluck a few times and I think I hear the bird, then all of sudden here he is coming right towards me....I dropped him at 35 yards. It was weird we never moved the truck it was sitting right below me in plain sight and that ole bird never even acted like it bothered him. He weighed 20 pounds 5 ozs and about an 8 inch beard. How lucky can you get!!

Here is a picture of Joe and his turkey dog "Bear", I could not get across the fence, so they retrieved my bird for me.

mark hay

RE: WhooHoooBBD(thx God 4 friends)

Postby mark hay » October 14th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Da'gummit Dana ,,,,you are on top of things . Congrats on a successful hunt . My hat's off to your friend for driving you around the farm and being a GOOD friend .

Well done!

linda hay

Postby linda hay » October 14th, 2009, 12:05 pm

[color=#003399 size=2]  Hey eggshell !! Very happy for ya. And Joe was a good friend indeed. I'll bet your feeling kind of bum after the long day. But the ole Tom was probably worth it.[:D][/color]

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » October 14th, 2009, 1:32 pm

That is a good friend.  Nice bird too.  That should help your recovery.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 14th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Congrats. eggshell it sounds like you had a great hunt that should help ease the pain some.
Jon [:D]
Turkeybuster

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » October 15th, 2009, 3:26 pm

congrats on the bird...nothing like hunting with a good dog....good move on your part some folks might not have called...the dog did his and you did yours...happy thanksgiving....

Break em at Night...Back at light

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 15th, 2009, 5:49 pm

Way to go egg [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 15th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Congratulations! That sounds like an exciting hunt. Hard to figure those fall birds sometimes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 15th, 2009, 8:08 pm

A beautiful picture!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » October 16th, 2009, 6:56 am

I see their is no quit in you Egg. Nice bird.!!

Next

Return to Fall Hunting