Ist gobbler and fall gobbler!

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Mossberg835

RE: Ist gobbler and fall gobbler!

Postby Mossberg835 » November 16th, 2009, 9:18 am

Sorry, but you guys are wrong. We have patterned the gun to 70 yards and every shot has 40 or more BB's in the freakin head. Now I usually dont care about peoples opinions, but dont call me unethical. You have probably tried to shoot and had to shoot more than once, all the while the bird is suffering, oh snap, didnt see that one coming did you[:D] My gobbler had 20 BB's in its head and upper neck. It dropped instantly, never flopped[:D][:D]. Thanks for the congradulations everybody else, and luckyjbird,  dont call me a slob. I can kill a turkey quicker and more "efficiently" at 70 yards than you can at 10, oh snap, didnt see that coming either did ya. Your name fits you right, lucky to even get a "j"(jake)... Just kiddin[:D][:D][:D]...NOT!!![8D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 16th, 2009, 11:17 am

wow, what a reply Mossberg835. I understand being sensitive to be called a slob, that would ruffle my feathers too. However, I do see why some would have concern as to your claims. I also wonder about how much you know about the efficiency of your gun when you say you use shells with 21/2 ounces of powder (not possible),perhaps you mean shot weight? As to the statement you can kill turkeys just as efficiently at 70 yards as 10...I'll take that bet day in day out! If you can truly and consistently put 20 pellets in a gobblers head and neck at 70 yards you have one amazing gun and skill set!

I am not trying to start an argument, I just want you to think about how your hunting. Is taking extra long snap shots really a safe way to hunt. Believe me I have real reasons to challenge people on safety, and take my word for it, there's no fun in a hunting accident.

As to you Lazyjbird, it's really not cool calling people slobs unless you know facts!

Now both of you are probably mad at me, but I hope not.

P.s. I just got done dressing two huge wounds in my leg from...you take a guess!! So if i challenge you to be safe please don't take offense.

hnter1018

Postby hnter1018 » November 16th, 2009, 11:22 am

I have never had to shoot twice at a bird. As far as forty pellets in the head and neck and all those in your bird I'm calling BS on that one.Especially factory loads. Full on BS. He never flopped another BS call out. OH SNAP bet you didn't see that one did yah[8|][8|][8|]

As far as killing a bird quicker at 70 yards BS...did you not say this was your first gobbler. It's unethical to shoot that far plain and simple. Some may agree you can shoot that far but the majority will tell you it's unethical and should not be done.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 16th, 2009, 2:14 pm

Over time I have changed my opinions and tactics when it comes to turkey hunting. I killed one just about the same way years ago . I mean , an unsuspecting , uncalled bird , though it was a mere 39 steps . It was by far the sorriest turkey kill of my career.

I let one walk this past Sat . evening,,,at 25 yards ,,,,just a mite too far for the 410.

Gotta admit , when I read the ''FORBIDDEN ZONE'' ,,sounds like a no hunting area.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » November 16th, 2009, 5:04 pm

ORIGINAL: hnter1018

I have never had to shoot twice at a bird. As far as forty pellets in the head and neck and all those in your bird I'm calling BS on that one.Especially factory loads. Full on BS. He never flopped another BS call out.
Well put..... Especially with lead, there is no way. To kill a bird that far he must be shooting fours and there is now ay on this earth one is putting 40 pellets in the head and neck at 70 with 4s or 6s for that matter with lead.

We all mis judge range from time to time, but it seems as if you were shooting this bird no matter how far you felt it was. what a shame.

luckyjbird

Postby luckyjbird » November 17th, 2009, 3:39 am

I realize that Mossberg makes a great turkey gun but 40 in the head at 70 yards? I gotta throw the BS flag o that one.

Your statement about you making a shot at 70 yards and outperforming me at 10? Just plain silly. I'll disregard that statement as being made out of anger.

Okay, I apologize for calling you a slob. It's a term I use for unethical people and situations. Maybe if you learned to call better you wouldn't be so inclined to shoot at birds at 70 yards. But the fact remains, shooting at 70myards is unethical and if you were ask around, you'll find, if you're willing to hear the truth, that 70 yards is too far under any circumstance.

Let me say something about turkey hunting, it's a great sport and I will protect it fiercely from people who are hellbent on making it out to be something it's not. You made a mistake at shooting 70 yards and another bigger mistake telling people you did it and the biggest by attempting to defend your actions. Most of us have been at this sport a long time, myself since the late 70's and we've made mistakes, but we've also learned from them. That menas not repeating them. I know as well as most do here, when we see or hear something that's not ethical, 70 yard shots fall into that category.

I've met and hunted with some of the best people in this sport. I've traveled the world, hunted and fished in so many states I've lost track. Lucky? I sure am!

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » November 17th, 2009, 5:56 am

LuckyJbird, i was just yanking your chain about the 40 pellets in the head, of course that aint possible. But its not unethical to shoot a turkey at 70 yards if YOU HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO DO IT. EThics is putting the animal down without it suffering, which we have done at 70 yards 3 times, and they never flopped, moved, twitched, you name it. THe shot was right down into a bottom so nobody was in there, so the shot was perfectly safe. And i said "power", not "powder" you other guys. Read it right guys. I was also yankin your chain about the "Lucky" thing. YOu probably are a very skilled hunter, otherwise you wouldnt be using a great website like turkey and turkey hunting, the best in my opinion. But I will say this to all of you. People are spending $1200 on a new Beretta, and it dont got the killing power of the mossberg, i'm sorry, but thats a fact, i;ve watched all the shows where their using the Berettas and the turkeys flop all around and keep flopping for a while. We have only ever had 2 turkeys flop after shooting it with the Mossberg, and thats not BS as you guys would say. As for the 70yard thing, it the same as shoting a deer at 200yards with a shotgun. Most people say you cant do it, But there are guns and shells that will do it, like the new Hornady sabots. Most people have it engrained in their minds that the turkeys gotta be 40 yards or closer, and they never tried further so you cant say that its unethical to shoot a turkey at 70 yards just because you dont have the equipment to do it and havent tried it. And as for the "Forbbiden Zone", we call it that because nobody but us is allowed to go there on the farm, although people hunt on other parts of the farm. Its our special place. I dont wanna argue with you guys either and would really like to be friend with you all, but you guys gotta drop your pride and get it put of your heads that its unethical to shoot a tueky at 70 yards if you can put them done with one sot, AND THEY NEVER FLOP(THAT AINT BS< ITS TRUE, I SWEAR ON MY MOSSBERG). Peace out ya'll.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » November 17th, 2009, 6:10 am

"Killing Power" Identical shells fired through identical length barrels is going to produce the same amount of "killing power" regardless of make of gun.. Its math and science.

Now mossbergs are fine patterning shotguns, but equal too and better patterns can be produced with essentially any gun make on the market.

As for 70 yards, no one has any business shooting a bird at 70 yards with lead shot regardless of pattern density. You most likely got a lucky pellet that somehow managed to break the spinal column or penetrate the brain, but you are going to have many birds that end up crippled over time if you continue this practice.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 17th, 2009, 9:12 am

My humble apologies for misquoting you...you did say 2 1/4 ounces of power. What kind of measurement that is I have no clue?? Maybe allaboutshooting can tell me.

There is a lot of experience on this board (I myself have 38 years of turkey hunting exp and lost count long ago on kill numbers) and I would be slow to challenge the collective opinion of everyone's years. Your posting would lend me to believe your experience is somewhat limited.

If we anger you enough to think then our time to answer is well spent. As for me, I don't have the equipment to consistently kill at 70 yards and so I won't even try. My browning gold is excellent to 50, but I prefer 25-30 yards and 6 gobblers this year alone with no cripples is a record I can maintain with that discipline. So fire away at whatever your confident with and can be safe at....however i wouldn't be betting too much money on statements like "I can put as many pellets in a target at 70 yards as someone else can at 10-40".

happy hunting and many more gobblers in you bag.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » November 17th, 2009, 10:01 am

Thankyou eggshell for your advice. But again, i was yanking luckyjbirds chain when i told him i could put as many pellets in the killzone at 70 as he could at 10-40, and icedturkes, we have shot 6 turkeys over 55yards, 3 over 70, and none of them flopped once, and all of their heads were  VERY BLOODY! When we cleaned them there were always at least 15 pellets right in the head at 70, and at least 35 or more between 55-69yds right where we aimed. I dont go out intending to shoot a turkey at 70 yards, but the shot presented itself, so i took it. And many turkey guns cant chamber 3 1/2 inch shells. But like I said, I just wanna be friends with people on here, so lets just get off this subject. Thanks for the congradulations everybody though. Peace Out![:D]

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting