Ist gobbler and fall gobbler!

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Mossberg835

Ist gobbler and fall gobbler!

Postby Mossberg835 » November 6th, 2009, 5:59 am

Been along time since i made a post on here, been busy fishing and deer hunting[:D] Anyways. My dad went down to our best spot on October 7th and got a hen, big one. I went down a few days later with him and got a 18lb gobbler with 8 1/2 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. i'll post the whole story later. but i'm so pumped after getting my 1st gobbler.[:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

turkeydoghunter

RE: Ist gobbler and fall gobbler!

Postby turkeydoghunter » November 8th, 2009, 4:19 am

congrats[:D]
Break em at Night...Back at light

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » November 8th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Congrats! there is nothing better than the feeiling of taking your first fall gobbler!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » November 10th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Congrats!  

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » November 12th, 2009, 8:39 am

Thanks everbody for the replys.[:D] Now for the whole story. My dad, my brother Jed, who was hunting also, my little brother Jeremiah, and me went down into a place we call "THE FORBIDDEN ZONE." We snuck down near a ridge where we have got some nice turkeys before. Well... we got down in there and my father peaked over the edge and a turkey was right there. WE threw are selves to the ground and he told me to crawl up to the tree in front of him. I did and i saw 2 turkeys down through the woods. Then a small fox ran through them[:@] They started going up the hill though and the first 2 didnt give me a shot. Keep in mind that i didnt know if they were gobblers or hens, I just knew one of them was going to die! I stood up and fired at the 3rd one and it dropped!![:D] The shot was, believe it or not, 70 YARDS!!! I was using a Mossberg 835, what a surprise, and that gun will, and has killed turkeys at 70yards and more efficiently and ethicaly. Say what you like, but when i hunt, its for food, not fancy hunts for good stories. We use 3 1/2 inch shells from Winchester with 2 1/4 ounces of power, so we can shoot that far. That was my first gobbler ever thogh, and it was AWESOME!!!!
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 14th, 2009, 10:18 am

Congrats. on your first GOBBLER I felt the same way when I shot my first one it is quite a thrill.
Good part about it is you will still feel that way with each one in the future. If that feeling ever leaves me I will hang up the Winchester.
Jon [;)]
Turkeybuster

BayouHunter

Postby BayouHunter » November 14th, 2009, 11:18 am

congrats on your 1st gobbler. I'll repeat what someone else said. Everyone you get will be awesome and a thrill.

Enjoy The Outdoors!!!
Jimmie

BayouHunter

Postby BayouHunter » November 14th, 2009, 11:20 am

i replied on the wrong message but congrats on your 1st gobbler. Now lets go and get another. It will be just as awesome and a thrill.

Enjoy The Outdoors!!!
Jimmie

hnter1018

Postby hnter1018 » November 15th, 2009, 8:27 am

ORIGINAL: Mossberg835

The shot was, believe it or not, 70 YARDS!!! I was using a Mossberg 835, what a surprise, and that gun will, and has killed turkeys at 70yards and more efficiently and ethicaly. Say what you like, but when i hunt, its for food, not fancy hunts for good stories. We use 3 1/2 inch shells from Winchester with 2 1/4 ounces of power, so we can shoot that far. That was my first gobbler ever thogh, and it was AWESOME!!!!

Congrats on the turkey but 70 Yards!!!!! That is crazy to shoot at a bird that far. No turkey gun will kill efficiently and ethically at 70 yards. You got lucky on that shot plain and simple. I hunt for food but not to maim birds.

luckyjbird

Postby luckyjbird » November 15th, 2009, 3:20 pm

I'm very surprised you even mentioned ethics after telling the shot was 70 yards. I understand the food thing but the ethics never entered into your described hunt. Trying to pass off that you hunt for food and attempt to poorly justify taking a super long shot is the mark of a slob, not a hunter.

Thank goodness you got kucky and killed the bird. All animals deserve respect and should be given that respect at all times, INCLUDING when to take a shot.

Hopefully next time, you'll bear this in mind BEFORE you take such an unethical shot. JMHO

Next

Return to Fall Hunting