Gobbler POOP

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
mark hay

Gobbler POOP

Postby mark hay » November 15th, 2009, 9:41 am

I was on my way into a roost site in the dark this morning . I thought I new where all the birds were since I was stuck under them until well after dark last evening . As I made my way in there in the predawn I here little particles of debris coming down from above  . Instantly I'm thinking squirrel , and just as quick I know I'm wrong . I received a soft thud to the exact middle of my cap . I think ''no way''. I stop and look up . There near the top of a white oak is gobbler looking down .  I removed my cap ,,,and sure enough ,,,there in the middle,,,a big ol' gob of gobbler ,,,POOOP!
 To my knowledge this is the first turkey to fire a shot at me in my life .
He managed to get away ,,as well as at least a dozen more .
 I took a picture of my TROPHY .[:D][:D]

rbewilson

RE: Gobbler POOP

Postby rbewilson » November 15th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Hey Mark,
Some days you step in it -- Some days it falls right on your head!!

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 15th, 2009, 5:33 pm

[:D]Probably that old gobbler you chased all last spring[;)]  Good thing he didn't gobble as he dropped the bomb[8|]  Yesterday was deer firearm opener here in Indiana.  I now know what it is like to hunt in the south.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » November 16th, 2009, 4:02 am

[:D] Thats a funny story Mark, Sorry you didn't get more of a trophy for your efforts.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » November 16th, 2009, 8:15 am

Mark:
You might want to consider a freeze-dried mount of this one. [:D]

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » November 17th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Many years ago Johnny Carson had a fella on that made earrings/jewelry/knick-knacks out of turkey droppings.  Never forgot that show!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 18th, 2009, 9:46 am

Could of been worst Mark, you could of been looking to to see what the noise was and caught one right between the eyes [8|]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 18th, 2009, 12:09 pm

I'll tell ya fellers , it is a once in a life time event ,,,I hope . But! [:D] I think you fellers are a little envious . I can hear it now ,,,'' boy , wish I could get hit in the head with a turkey turd''. Or,,,''I want to hunt all morning smellin' like ground up green walnut hulls''.

I felt like laughin' when it happened ,,, but managed to keep quiet .

But what are the chances ? One skinny ol' red haired man , slippin' quietly in the dark , on an 85 acre tract ,,,,,,and walk exactly in the proper place to receive a direct hit,,,,to the middle,,,,not splattered and runnin' down my ear and neck,,,,but flattened out right there on top ,,,,OF MY NEW DRAB HUNTIN' CAP.

Speakin' of DRAB. I have hunted this fall in all drab colored clothes. Green pants and cap, dark brown shirt , and when needed a dark brown coat . The only camo is my facenet. Deer and turkeys alike show no sign of alarm . That gobbler I encountered on Sat. evening was 25 yards with no cover at all between us . He showed no sign of fear at all. A nice 8 point stared for a total of 15 minutes , from three different angles . Just thought I'd throw that in .

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » November 18th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Mark you hit the nail on the head I wish I could be in the woods hunting for Mr.Tom,still got about 2-weeks to wait.

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » November 21st, 2009, 7:26 am

Mark
Now you can say your NEW DRAB HUNTIN' CAP is now an old camo huntin'cap! The camo matches the background perfectly! [8|]

Next

Return to Fall Hunting