OLD TIME TURKEY DOGGING

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
wisturkeyhunter

RE: OLD TIME TURKEY DOGGING

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 4th, 2009, 12:36 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

As far as their range goes....I'm pretty sure a Brittany is not known as a big ranger in the bird dog world. I know a guy that's hunted with Heplers dog...I'll ask him about his range.

Depends on the breeding some brittany breeds are breeding dogs that run big like setters and english pointers. Other are breed for close in.

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 4th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Thank you TC for the wishes. I have heard nothing but good things about your dog.As far as the barking Gratten and I spoke extensively on the subject.Here is our conclusion.In our part of the world bear hounds are run year round,training season never closes.Dogs run through turkeys barking all the time in our area.This has somewhat changed the way young turkeys go about gather back up.Very little if any calling takes place.I have spoke on this subject with older turkey hunters in our area, and they all agree turkeys don't call in this area as they did in the past.Gratten and I thought a dog that did not bark may actually be a asset due to the fact the turkeys may not know what happened and may be willing to call.This is another reason I wanted a medium hunter as I could usually here the brake point reguardless of the bark.We may be way off on this but there has definatly been a change in turkey behavior around here.All this being said I would be happy with or without a barker.May change my mind farther down the road.
canecreekcalls.com

OsceWood

Postby OsceWood » February 4th, 2009, 1:16 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

OsceWood seems your joke about "smarter than a 5th grader" has been construed as an insult by Turkeydoghunter...

I've been informed not to insult Turkeydoghunter with insults like that...

I'm sorry Mr.turkeydoghunter I think Oscewood originally meant it as a joke...I know I did.

Sorry you took it to heart...please forgive me.

Sorry to hear you got told on [&o]......When I said that it wasn't directed at anyone in particular.[8|]
Didn't mean to hurt any feeling.....sorry if I offended anybody.

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 4th, 2009, 1:25 pm

It may not be the hounds some say it's the coyotes.This is hard for me to believe I have never hunted Texas but people tell me Rio's are very vocal and Texas is covered up with predators.I don't know what it is but believe me something is going on.I was relying on some of the turkeys to cackle along with the flying.I have heard that barking is sort of a hit or miss on all the bird dog types.
canecreekcalls.com

OsceWood

Postby OsceWood » February 4th, 2009, 2:07 pm

I'm pretty sure he is smart enough to know I was jus foolin [8|]

A. jus foolin

B. I thorry

c. gonna tell on you

d. I saved a bunch of money by switchin' my dog insurance to Geico.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 4th, 2009, 2:19 pm

so does that mean i will get kicked off the forum for callin say TC,mark hay,the ghost or some of the older guys on this forum the wise ol owl?i mean names are names

Not a Fool

Postby Not a Fool » February 4th, 2009, 2:32 pm

ORIGINAL: turkeydoghunter

damaybe day shot 2many. notice the dark colored dog on the left looks like a boytel and the handler might have a wing bone around his neckImage

Looks like a bunch of NY hunters that I used to know. And I been around a LoooooooooooNg time.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 4th, 2009, 3:37 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

so does that mean i will get kicked off the forum for callin say TC,mark hay,the ghost or some of the older guys on this forum the wise ol owl?i mean names are names

[:D][:D] Please call me that, that would be like a compliment to me for what I have been called in the past.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 4th, 2009, 4:38 pm

ORIGINAL: OsceWood

I'm pretty sure he is smart enough to know I was jus foolin [8|]

A. jus foolin

B. I thorry

c. gonna tell on you

d. I saved a bunch of money by switchin' my dog insurance to Geico.

Image ImageImage

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 4th, 2009, 4:42 pm

[;)]

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting